Resources >> Browse Articles >> Interview Tips

6 Illegal Nursing Interview Questions

6 Illegal Nursing Interview Questions

Hamsa Ramesha | NursingLink

Wondering which questions you’ll be asked during your nursing interview? You should expect the usual ones, such as “Where do you see yourself in five years?” and “What’s your greatest weakness?” But then there are more colorful questions, such as “What animal best describes you?” and “If you were stranded on a desert island, what three items would you want to have with you?” that you should brace yourself for.

Regardless of what questions get thrown your way, there are a handful of interview questions you should never be asked as a nurse. Be aware — questions about subjects in these categories violate your rights:

A Day in the Life of a...

Ever wonder what it's like to be a nurse midwife? A nurse with a doctorate? Or a holistic nurse? Find out with our A Day in the Life... series!

Go to class with Assistant Professor-CT and Director of Student Services Dr. Ruby Martinez.

Spend the day with Holistic and Rehabilitation Nurse, Barbara Klein-Robuck.

Learn what Certified Hospice & Palliative Care Nurse Maria Gatto does at work.

Deliver babies with Certified Nurse Midwife Eunice (Kitty) Ernst.

Share the struggles of an accelerated BSN nursing student with Erin Downing.

• Age• National origin
• Birthplace• Race
• Color• Religion
• Disability• Sex
• Marital/family status

However, don’t assume an employer’s prying questions are suggestive of discriminatory intentions. Often, a hiring manager is just trying to assess your fit for the job, not trying to illegally discriminate. After all, as a nurse, you’ll often deal with patients from all sorts of backgrounds and beliefs. While you can’t be asked directly about any of these topics, don’t be surprised if you find yourself discussing your family or religion either. It all depends on how the question is phrased.

While it’s important to protect yourself from illegal nursing interview questions, there are legal alternatives to get the same information out of you. Be prepared and know your options by checking out these six examples of illegal interview questions, and how they can be rephrased to pass the law.

Next: “Are You a U.S. Citizen?” >>

giftideasformen

deliver2u

I am looking for a job at this time. The last time I looked for a position I was extremely overweight. I was repeatedly asked if I was capable of doing a job that I had been doing for 20 years. The fact that I was doing the same job for a per diem agency did not seem to matter. If was humiliating and hurtful. The only real offers that I got were from the facilities where I did work for the agency. For 18 months I had to prove that I could do the job.
    I went on an interview last week and saw how the questions could be put differently, especially the ones on diversity. In todays world looking at others cultures and understanding their beliefs and traditions is as important as knowing their health history. The more comfortable you can make them feel, the more comfortable and trusting they will be with the care you are providing. The relationship you build with your paitients is only something that can be forged by you.

Midas1

Illegal is commonplace in nursing. After a car accident on my way home from work, I ended up with two very swollen hands and consequently a reconstructed right hand. My employer's response to a doctor putting me off work for three weeks? We don't work with people with limitations, so effectively you're fired. What a grand field this is. I'm working to push away from most forms of nursing. For a "helping" field this is anything but. Other countries are lightyears ahead of this one in what truly works. We are in a money-driven system, not a care-driven system. A walk through the ocean of most nurse managers' knowledge of management principles would scarcely get one's feet wet!

• Seans_hs_grad2009_018_max50

julwrnc

These are possible interview questions, but how can we have them removed from the job application completely because i feel this is used as a basis for discrimination.

• John_milks_max50

jmilks2004

Great info

ALL4KYLA

I have been in this position and most of the time this would not be the ideal workplace.

flonight756

I have been asked most of these questions, except for the one about race or color. Because I am very fair skinned and blonde it is obvious. I think questions about age ,marriage etc should not be asked. Experience is what affects your job performance not all that other stuff.

athronson

All of this is well and good. However now-days the employer will have you sign for a 'back ground check.' As you complete the back ground check form you are asked ALL of these questions. The other problem is the 'ethnic diversity' question. To be considered for the job you must tell what is you ethnic status. In the interview these questions are not asked, but before the interview you must tell the answer to all of these questions.

lralkhatib

2094 comments

vey good information.

• Avt_claudiao_claudiao_large_max50

claudia88

This article is very helpful for me. I am looking for work.

• Snapshot_20100727_1_max50

Robert1947

This article is very informative. I am in search of employment. The interview question that I find the most
    difficult to answer is 'What do you plan to be doing inthe next 10 years?' [I'd like to say 'Hopefully, I'll be
    working in some capacity, but I'd like to be retired'].
    I'm 63 but look 40. An interviewer should know that I'm older once I admit that I have 36 YEARS as a RN
    and have worked near exclusively in various ICU settings.
    I thank you for sharing these questions with me.