Resources >> Browse Articles >> On the Job

6 Common Nursing Career Myths

6 Common Nursing Career Myths

Jennifer LeClaire | Monster Contributing Writer

Whether you’re a veteran healthcare worker or just starting out, some long-held myths about the industry can hinder your career—or stop you before you even get started. Learn the truth about these six common nursing career myths.

Myth 1: The nursing shortage guarantees me the perfect job when I graduate.

“While the shortage of nurses is acute across the United States, great locations and great organizations turn away candidates,” says Neill Marshall, managing partner with Coppell, Texas-based Marshall Koll & Associates, an executive search firm specializing in hospital and healthcare. “These organizations have their pick of the best and brightest.”

Are You At Risk for Burnout?

Burned Out?
Your patients demand a lot, and you want to help. But are you pushing yourself too hard, for too long? Don't let yourself get burned out on the job. Find out if you're at risk!

TAKE THE QUIZ >>

Myth 2: If I only attend a two-year college, I won’t be a real nurse.

“An associate’s degree in nursing (ADN) is required to take and pass the National Council Licensure Examination along with students who have earned bachelor’s degrees in nursing,” says Val Richardson, director of workforce development for Palmetto Health in South Carolina. ADN programs are offered at local technical colleges.

Myth 3: Continuing education (CE) is important only if I plan to pursue management positions.

On the contrary, CE credits are usually required to maintain licenses and certifications. For example, radiologic technologists must earn 24 CE credits every two years.

CE could also prepare you for a lateral move to a different team, department or organization, or it could simply help you improve your performance in your current position, says Julia Hooper, director of hospital education and workforce development at Chicago’s Children’s Memorial Hospital.

“What do you want in your career?” Hooper says. “I have asked employees off and on over the last 20 years and have experienced a range of emotions, from eye rolling, laughter, shrugged shoulders, frustration and, most often, tears. It’s a question that cuts to the core of us, because it is that important to our very being. Continuing education needs to start with you so that you can best describe who you are in relation to your career.”

Next: Myth No. 4 >>

• Vacationpics_max50

nurseamy_1979

This article is so true. I have been an LPN for 6 years, and even though school is over you still are constantly learning new things and going to different inservices.

• Img_0108_max50

stephaniepereira24

wow this article surely open my eyes abt this profession n whether if i will ever get through. but i am going to be a nurse one day n i will succeed. there are challenges in life n if you are destine u get through

fashionablady

Its a surprising article to say the least! Every hospital I have looked at has around 50-100 nursing positions waiting to be filled... I do live right at a metro area though with 4,5,6?? hospitals... not getting a job out of school has never crossed my mind :0
    but like everything else, I will just trust God to bring me and the right job together! somewhere in the 300,000+ nursing jobs they'll need filled within the next five years is the perfect fit!
    I will just get through accelerated nursing school first... I hear that's an accomplishment in itself

cab020881

Haven't worked a day since 11/15/2008. Can't even get an interview. No jobs!

• Images_max50

AmbitiousFutureRN

Great article!

mrsbeck826

to cxg174

I appreciate your honestly and have to agree with you when you say that it has to be in your heart to be a nurse. I agree 100%. All jobs come with challenges, but it's truly about how we handle the challenges.

Helping people is what God wants us to do, so why not get paid to help? It's almost like killing two birds with one stone. As nurses, we get to interact with so many different people and have a positive impact on their lives.

I am so excited and cannot wait to get my first nursing job, as I'm only a student right now.

Take care and God bless you,

mrsbeck826

This article really opened my eyes. So many people, including myself, are going to school to do something great - become a nurse, and some of us may not get hired.
    I have to be honest, I never thought about the possibility of not getting hired. That would be horrible.

I am just going to have faith in God and walk by the spirit. With God, all things are possible.

cxg174

etracie - any previous experiences that we have can benefit us in some way. Certainly you could use your teaching experience to go into nursing education. My question is - are you out of your mind??? Every nurse I know wishes he or she had gone into teaching instead. Long hours, on-call, swing shifts, weekends and holidays, overtime, stress and lousy staffing, no retirement plans - the list of why not to get into nursing is awfully long. The only reason any sane person would do it is because it is in their heart to help others. I know teaching is no picnic- I taught at a college and a vo-tech school, but compared to nursing it is a dream. There is no comparison. Still, when I help someone who is in pain, or frightened, or dying, I know that what I do means so much more than any non-nurse could ever understand. It is a shame they reward the wrong things in our society. Nurses deserve far better than they ever get.

etracie

Can a previous career in teaching be beneficial if you are considering a career in nursing?
    I am a tenured teacher, and have professional teaching experience for the last 8 years. I also have specialization in teaching intellectual disabled students as well as a Bachelors, Masters degree in Education, and a Masters degree in administration and supervision.How can this benefit me in the health field as a nurse?