Sample Resume for an RN Career Changer
NursingLink | Monster.com
If you already have experience as an RN but want to move into another area in nursing, your resume needs to reflect your skills properly.
View our sample resume for a nurse career changer below and get a downloadable Word version of the RN resume template here.
10 Springdale St.
Brooklyn, New York 22222
Dedicated RN with nearly 20 years of experience within medical-surgical settings seeking career transition into clinical nursing research. Offer a solid foundation in statistics, analytical tools and methodologies, pharmaceuticals, surgical procedures and current health care advancements.
Special interest in conducting clinical research trials benefiting diabetes patients. Strong background in diabetes education, with experience developing and delivering training programs to staff, community organizations and medical providers on a range of diabetes-management topics.
Operating Room Nurse
5/1998-Present, ABC HOSPITAL, New York, NY
Assist in the preparation and care of patients undergoing surgical intervention, and oversee the maintenance/sterilization of OR supplies and equipment. Anticipate needs of surgeons and surgical teams, and assist in operative procedures.
Highlights of Contributions:
- Participated in JCAHO survey with resultant score of 95 percent with commendation. Ensured OR readiness by maintaining stringent quality standards and safety precautions.
- Planned and executed symposium for continuing research on diabetes. Topics included new research methods, standards of treatment and the epidemiological perspective. Secured internationally renowned endocrinologists as speakers and attracted 100+ healthcare industry participants.
- Led numerous staff development training programs and seminars. Conducted educational programs on a broad range of topics, including diabetes education and OR policies and procedures.
- Researched and compiled daily operation reports and patient statistical data for surgical services director, director of nursing and utilization review (UR) coordinator.
- Directed ongoing quality assurance (QA) program that met or surpassed hospital/JCAHO standards for patient and staff safety.
- Authored study guide and orientation packet credited with improving quality and thoroughness of staff on-the-job-training (OJT) program.
- Standardized procedures and improved efficiency of surgical room setup through major cataloging effort covering all surgical services equipment.
- Developed first-ever, comprehensive standard operating procedures (SOPs) manual for hospital’s Preoperative Staging Area.
6/1995-5/1998, DEF HOSPITAL, Brooklyn, NY
Performed a comprehensive range of clinical functions in the 70-bed neonatal intensive care unit. Assessed patients’ developmental stages and conditions, administered medications, maintained patient charts and responded to medical emergencies.
Highlights of Contributions:
- Managed all phases of care cycle for critically ill infants. Held additional responsibility as part-time charge nurse for overseeing patient care, staff assignments, emergency response/transport and management of infant family crises.
- Contributed to organizational growth initiatives as active member of patient education and procedural committees, along with preceptor duties instructing new residents and nurses in crisis intervention, medication administration and resuscitation.
- Built solid, trusting relationships with staff and patient families, generating positive PR through extra efforts in care treatment and one-on-one communications.
- Collaborated with multidisciplinary team members, working closely with physicians, nurses, technicians and therapists to formulate, implement and modify individual care plans.
6/2004, ABC Training Institute, New York, NY
- Completed comprehensive pharmaceuticals training in the areas of FDA regulatory compliance, drug specifications, drug product stability/shelf life, principles of contemporary immunology and adverse drug events.
5/2001, Perioperative Nursing (CNOR), Denver, CO
- Competency & Credentialing Institute (CCI), CNOR certification
2/1992, Registered Nurse, New York, NY
5/1990, XYZ COLLEGE, New York, NY
Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
- Received consistently excellent evaluations in clinical rotations.
- Participated in XYZ College’s Nursing Student Association, National Student Nurses’ Association and Future Registered Nurses Club.
6/1989, BCLS certification, New York, NY
- BCLS certification is current
5/1989, XYZ COLLEGE, New York, NY
- Associate Degree in Nursing (ADN)
- 1/2005-Present: Association of periOperative Registered Nurses, Member
|Skill Name||Skill Level||Last Used/Experience|
|Case / Patient Management||Expert||Currently used/19 years|
|Clinical Research Procedures||Intermediate||Currently used/11 years|
|Data Collection / Analysis / Reporting||Intermediate||Currently used/11 years|
|Data Management & Documentation||Intermediate||Currently used/11 years|
|Healthcare Education||Expert||Currently used/19 years|
|JCAHO Standards / Compliance||Expert||Currently used/19 years|
|Patient Interviews||Expert||Currently used/19 years|
|Public / Community Relations||Expert||Currently used/19 years|
|Public Speaking||Expert||Currently used/19 years|
|Quality Assurance / Quality Control||Expert||Currently used/19 years|
|Records Maintenance||Expert||Currently used/19 years|
Excelled in early nursing career as RN/nurse team leader (2/1992 to 5/1995) and hospital staff nurse (6/1989 to 2/1992), with commendations for quality of total patient care from community/teaching hospital employers.
Known as a loyal team player with an unwavering commitment to providing quality care and preventive medicine advocacy. Available for evening/weekend shifts and willing to relocate nationally for right opportunity.