Become a Nurse >> Browse Articles >> Nursing School

Does Nursing School Equal No Life?

Does Nursing School Equal No Life?

Ani Burr | Scrubs Magazine

I recently helped out at school at the new-student orientation for the incoming nursing class. My friends and I were passing down advice to the “newbies,” all the while finding it hard to believe that we were in their shoes only a year and a half ago.

So among the sage advice of “don’t wear colored underwear under your white scrubs,” and the “get to know your classmates because no-one at home is going to understand what you’re talking about,” I heard those chilling words I had heard so many times before, “You’re not going to have a life once you start nursing school.”

Have you heard this?!? I had heard these same words from countless students in the weeks leading up to nursing school, and they haunted me. I remember talking to my family and friends, warning them that they may not hear from me once I start, and telling my boyfriend that I hoped we would find some time to go out once-in-a-while, because I wouldn’t have a life once I started nursing school.

I would like to set the record straight: you CAN have a life outside of nursing school. In fact you NEED to get out and do something else every so often. It might not be the party-every-weekend kind of life that you see on TV or in movies, and it might not be as eventful as you’re non-nursing friends’, but it is possible to have fun.

Nursing school does not have to be the life-consuming black hole everyone makes it out to be. Yes, there are nights when you would rather be out with your friends, but you have to finish a paper, and maybe you can’t make it to EVERY (insert family event/party/date here), but after a year and a half of it, I am a firm believer that you NEED to make the time every so often to put yourself together, meet up with your friends/family/significant other and relax. It is not impossible. Nursing school only controls your life as much as you let it. You have to be in control, plan your week out, and balance your study time with a few hours of “you time” whatever that is. It’s not always ideal, but on those days you HAVE to study, come up with an alternative way to reward yourself for all the hard work you’ve done. Nursing school is tough, but it’s not the end of life as you know it…it’s just the beginning.

Is your school plagued with this saying too?
It’s always tough trying to balance it all; what ways work best for you?

More on ScrubsMag.com:

In Mind & Mood: Life Outside the Nurse Job
In Student Nurse: The Adult Student
In Nursing Blogs: 6 Best Ways to Stay Focused

Related Reads:

tbombe

Personally I found nursing school to be an absolute anxiety ridden venture. I am older with 2 kids, husband, home, laundry, 5 day a week nursing schedule, a dad who passed away 1 day after I got out of school and was unable to visit because of I was in nursing school etc etc. The only compassion I found during my nursing school ordeal was from the lady who worked in the office. God Bless her! Nurses are supposed to be kind, compassionate and caring and unfortanetely I never got any of that "schooling" from my teachers or clinical instructors (all but two). I have already started writing a book to help the newbies get through nursing school from care plans too how to deal with a unruley teachers/clinical instructors and everything in between. Good luck to all of you just starting the process or still in it.

nicole_nehme

It is hard, as it should be...I just graduated and got my pin tonight...You can have a life, family comes first, then nursing school...You won't have a lot of time for friends, but the ones that matter will understand and stick by you.

• Steelers2_max50

msmarie75

I'm about to start nursing school in the fall...I know it's going to be hard, but with a little organization and time management and God's grace and mercy, iI'll find time for work, family and studying:)

• Lake_murray_max50

FydawgRN

I remember being told by an instructor I had to to quit work while I was in school. I remember thinking (not saying) if I could afford to quit work for 2 1/2 years...anyway, the hospital system I worked for then as a tech, and still today as an RN had a policy to work around nursing school, which they did. I managed to work a minimum of 24 hours per week while in school.

cherrie

Nursing School to me was like nothing I have ever done before.It was Awesome ! Your time is consumed,. but you are so involved and too busy to realize you are being comsumed. And it is not forever. You learn so much and you get to practice it and use it. You are making a difference. It is so worth it ! You won't be sorry. It's a career and it is something you would do for free, if you could afford it. I am still amazed after all these years, that I know how to help someone in so many ways. And that I still care about my work and career. And I have a worthwile career. You can always have a job, no matter where you go. We are educators and we are leaders. Be a nurse; you won't be sorry.

PEARL

I went to nusing school and worked a full time job. There was no such thing as a life. In the last months of school I had a stoke ,spent the week end in the hospital told them I was ok . I was not because anything would have been easier to deal with than having to start all over. I am just glad I did not kill myself. I am so glad you found your life during school. Pearl

iobanor

I just got my BSN and honestly, it was time consuming but I did make time for fun some times. Between classes, clinicals and tons of papers, I squeeze in time with friends and family. The key is to stay focused and like those before you, it will be a thing of the past.

LuciRice

I'm about to finish up my ADN. The nursing school I'm going to is not for everyone. It is a fast paced course. It has consumed my life for the last 4 months. I have class/clinicals for 8 hours a day - then 4-6 hours of homework. Why have I stuck this out? Because this is a life long dream for me and I want it bad! All I can say is you have to build your support team before you ever start the school process.

Lucinda

Don't mislead the next generation! Yeah nursing school is hard and time consuming, but worth it! I was a single mother of an 18 month old daughter, working part time, slept 4 hrs a night. I love nursing. I have continued my education and I am now working on a master's degree. I plan to influence the course of nursing as a profession. 15 years later, I still love nursing. So stick with your plan for study and don't let it stop you from going to nursing school. A few months of decreased socializing is well worth the benefit at the end. See ya at work soon!

Audra

• Avatar_blue_butterfly_max50

PaganDeva2000

I do believe that nursing school can suck up a large portion of your life, at least until you acquaint yourself with the demands and how to work around them. And, when I made time for myself it was a fight. Each person will have to make their own assessment and develop their own patterns, but I can honestly say that I'm glad it is over and I have no use for higher education ever again...but that is just a personal thing.

kd_aman

As far as "study schedule..." goes...I haven't had a regular one but I am constantly re-evaluating when I can best study.

kd_aman

I am almost done with nursing school and I have managed to make time to do things that I really wanted to do while still keeping good grades. There was a lot I had to put off but I have to admit I'm not the best time manager and I do take a lot of breaks when I am studying, to keep myself sane. But I have found that sometimes I HAVE to make time for family and friends. And I have kept going to church and volunteering once a month in the sunday school class. There has been times where I have had to miss out on things I really wanted to do, because they fall on a day before a test and I really need to study, or they fall while I am in class or clinical. I have just had to pick and choose my priorities and think ahead a bit.

• 140024_3__max50

shekinahrobinson

i am sooo glad that this article was written because i am about to start my nursing program this upcoming fall and i've heard that i wouldnt have a life while in the program. i have also heard this from a few nursing students but i guess those were the ones who made the program hard on their selves because they didnt make a study schedule or something. but i am absolutely happy to hear this that means that there is hope for a social life while in the program :-)

• Zzzzzzzzzz_max50

RED2000

I had a life before nursing school and I had a life during nursing school. Being organized during nursing school is the key. I studied every spare minute during the day between classes and I studied the days lectures in the evening for a few hours. I knew when my papers and presentations were due and planned accordingly. This left me time for my part time job at a hospital and for a social life on the weekends. You do not need to be a social outcast just because you are in nursing school.

KSBSN

when you are studying and feel exhausted, you're not going to learn anything anyhow, in fact the confusion factor goes up. Put the book down, cover it with your favorite pillow and get the sleep. It will do you significantly more good!