Become a Nurse >> Browse Articles >> Paying for Nursing School >> Scholarships

3 Steps to Finding a Scholarship & 5 Scholarships to Get You Started

3  Steps to Finding a Scholarship & 5 Scholarships to Get You Started

Step 1. Find Schools You Want to Attend

Most colleges and universities offer fantastic scholarships. So the best way to search for scholarships is to narrow the list to include only those schools you’d most like to attend and then research their awards and financial aid options. Many scholarships from corporations and nonprofits also require detailed information about your academic plans, so it pays to decide where to apply before you ramp up your scholarship search.

Begin researching programs of study on NursingLink now.

Step 2. Search for Scholarships

Many organizations and businesses offer scholarships for Bachelor’s and advanced degrees. Look into the following organizations, both in your area and nationally.

• Professional associations
• Your employer (Employee Based Awards)
• Scholarship-focused nonprofits
• Large corporations (Pepsi, Xerox, etc.)
• Foundations (Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, etc.)
• Unions
• Advocacy and political organizations
• Religious organizations
• Social/community clubs and organizations
• Service organizations (Rotary, Elks, etc.)

Scholarship criteria vary widely. Some scholarships are earmarked for students pursuing specific careers; others may be regional, designated for applicants from a particular state or county. Typically, organizations and schools may offer scholarships to students who meet a set of criteria, which could include:

• Demonstrated commitment to community service or volunteer work
• Commitment to pursue a valued career, academic, or research interest
• Learning or physical disabilities
• Demonstrated commitment to fine arts or performing arts
• Demonstrated athletic achievement and talent
• Economic need
• Underrepresented minority group
• Student is a gender minority in their field of interest (Ex: male nurses)
• Birthplace (for students from a particular city, state, or country)
• Student is the first to go to college in their family
• Contest / essay contest winner
• Going back to school; single parent
• High academic achievement
• High standardized test scores

A good strategy is to determine the types of scholarships you may be eligible for and search specifically for those.

Which area(s) might you qualify under?

Next: 5 Scholarships to Get You Started >>

• صورة257_max50

munther80

Im CNS, i finished my Master degree in 2006, i worked so much hard to get it, and i hope to find a suitable chance to get a schoolarship to make my PhD.thx.my e-mail is munther555222@yahoo.com.

• Picture_021_max50

angienwgeorgia

Ok, gotta get more scholarship cash! I have been blessed with one late fall that helped out tremendously. My advice is to not be shy and apply for scholarships!

LPN39yswant2bRN

I have been an LPN for a great number of years. I was a single parent with three small children, then they had college to attend so I have put mine on hold fro years. Now that I'm older I find it very hard to fine it very hard find the needed money to finish. I only need the last two semesters to finish and become that RN. Many years ago I promished my father that I would go back to school and finish but It not worked out thus far. I lost him a few years ago and I want to keep my promise for him as well as myself.

• 1230623w131_sq90_max50

gospellove772003

I have such a desire to become a nurse and finally im getting my chance, after being faced with obstacles tht staggered my pathway for four yrs i am now able to pursue it full force ready and willinng to handle whatever comes along. I kno its going to be hard and i kno it wont be easy but it is so worth the fight.God be with me and help me to stand strong.

akiiki

I am wanting to become an CNA. I am just getting into looking, how and what do I need to do. I am a 23 year old girl who came from apoor farmily having lost all my parents and really dont have the money to go to a big college, also, the communtiy colleges around here the soonest I would be abel to start would be in Oct. and I really want to go ahead, but the only classed they have are during the day and I have to be able to have some income coming in. What do I do? My name is Juliet Akiiki , my email address is julieakiiki@yahoo.com

akiiki

akiiki

akiiki

• J0423100_max50

emtpixie

Ok...great info. but are there any scholarships, grants, etc. for people looking for an Associates degree and an RN cert.? I'm looking and this is the only way I'm going to afford this.

lilgib57

After several years of wanting to be a nurse, I am in the pursiut of finding a college to attend and getting money together to see if I can afford this adventure. I have been out of school for over 30 years, and I went back and took some courses in 1988. So this will be a challenge. My daughter keeps telling me I am never to old to get my nursing degree!!!

slimcowgirl

I am wanting to become an CNA. I am just getting into looking, how and what do I need to do. I am a 34 yr old mother of 2 and really dont have the money to go to a big college, also, the communtiy colleges around here the soonest I would be abel to start would be in Oct. and I really want to go ahead, but the only classed they have are during the day and I have to be able to have some income coming in. What do I do? My name is Vicki Bish , my email address is vickiebish@bellsouth.com

RNrocks