Become a Nurse >> Browse Articles >> Specialties >> Travel Nursing

Name: Amy Robbins
Job Title: Traveling Nurse
Where: Tallahassee, Florida
Employer: Multiple Agencies
Years of Experience: 12
Education: Darton College in Albany, Georgia
Salary: A traveling nurse salary depends on where the assignment is located. (High hourly wage of $40, low of $30)

Traveling_nurse_salary_max200w

As the healthcare employment landscape changes, travel nurse agency jobs are growing and many people are choosing a traveling nurse career over other nursing options. But what are the real benefits of a traveling nurse career compared to traditional nursing jobs? In this Salary Story, we spoke to Florida-based nurse Amy Robbins about her traveling nurse career, the benefits of being a traveling nurse and the average traveling nurse salary.

If you’re wondering about the future outlook for traveling nurse salaries, what to expect from travel nurse agency jobs, or how to start a traveling nurse career, this Salary Story is just what the doctor ordered!

Traveling Nurse Job Description:

The duties of a travel nurse are very similar to those of a non-traveling nurse. I am currently on an Orthopedic and Neurology floor where I attend 5 to 7 patients per 12 hour shift. When I first arrive at work, I am given a report of the status of the patients I am going to attend from the nurse on the shift before mine. The report generally includes the name, age, current medical problems and medical history. After the report I visit each of the patients to introduce myself and assess their conditions.

During a typical shift, I am required to administer medicine (oral, via injection, etc.), document medical information, receive and discharge patients, coordinate patient care with other departments such as physical therapy, respiratory therapy, speech therapy and others. Sometimes a patient will “Code” which means they go into respiratory and cardiac arrest.

For instance, last week a patient on my floor stopped breathing after a tracheotomy was removed from his throat. The patient stopped breathing and did not have a pulse. I started CPR on the patient and had to do mouth-to-mouth resuscitation using a plastic device that has a valve to allow air into the patient’s lungs, but prevents the patient from exhaling back into the nurse’s mouth. After thirty minutes of CPR, the patient’s pulse returned and the patient recovered.

In addition to the traditional nurse duties, I also have to deal with several traveling nurse employment agencies I work with. That can require filling out paperwork, moving from assignment to assignment, negotiating contract provisions, etc.

coach22

about 1 year ago

Two years ago,http://www.cvshopfactory.com/, the first time I read the Viewpoints of the North River "anthology,http://www.zxcoachoutlet.com/, I touched considerable. And then borrowed and also by eventually take Mr. Zhang grassland the complex slowly silk,http://www.lvoutletfactory.com/, but also the inherent prejudices and patterns,http://www.mcmworldwidely.com/, over and over again washed and baptism. Has always been considered the most difficult to deal with people in China,Coach Factory Outlet Online, Zhang Chengzhi many people in the industry and even some unreasonable. On the other hand,http://www.northfaceioutletonline.net/, the style of Zhang Chengzhi's unique "idealism temperament" is imitated by many people,MCM Worldwide Outlet Online, and even worship. I also wrote before,Gucci Shoes Factory, Hung evaluation of a work standard,http://www.gucci-lvshoesfactory.com/, or give people thinking,Monster Headphones Outlet Online, or a big laugh. Needless to say,Coach Outlet Online, I have seen the works,Gucci Shoes Factory, it belongs to the former. He expected his readers that "young people to find meaning for the youth.

• Mom_mexmas_max50

Rock2HAL

My mom is a LPN in NJ and isn't a traveling nurse but is thinking about it and wants to be a travel nurse in Tallahassee, FL because I want to go to FSU. However, she wants to know the exact salary for that job in that area. Could you please email me at ladyhal@yahoo.com and let me know so I can tell her? (She doesn't use a pc which is why I'm doing this for her.) Her name is Lynn. She has been a LPN since the 1990s (forget exact year she became a LPN). Also she wants to bring her big dog with her if she gets into this field. Also she only has a NJ LPN License and that's it. Does she need to get a FL one? Thanks so much!
    Heidi

• Me_max50

LPN2GO

I HAVE BEEN AN LPN TRAVEL NURSE FOR 11 YEARS OUT OF MY THIRTEEN. I WOULD SUGGEST IT TO ANYONE. IF YOU NEEED HELP GO TO MY WEBSITE ( IAM JUST BUILDING IT...SO PARDON MY DUST. LOL) LPN2GO.COM

dfulz

I really and truly want to be a travel nurse after I graduate next year. I have 18 years experience as an LPN/LVN do you think I will still have to get a years experience as a RN before I can travel? The work seems so interesting and I cantravel and see the the country and let someone else pay for most of the expenses.

• Fotos_del_cruise_006_max50

myriamto

This is an excellent article and the information is very good. I'm considering myself a traveling nurse career due to the fact that I'm bilingual and have two licenses from two different states. Also have been a nurse for almost nine years all of them in specialty fields.

• Dsc_0067_max50

lilbit5

That sounds very interesting. Great article by the way. I am still in nursing school and eventually want to be a CRNA. Do they have traveling jobs for CRNAs?

• Picture_13_max50

starboyalpha

VERY good article; straight forward and candid.

• 15-photo_15_max50

cateyes01

YOU ARE A WONDERFUL PERSON, I WISH I WAS A NURSE NOW. I AM IN SCHOOL FOR RN, I AM A PCT AND WAS THINKING ABOUT TRAVELING WITH THAT TITLE. THAT WOULD MEAN I WOULD HAVE TO GIVE UP MY SCHOOL. I HAVE WANTED TO BE AN RN SINCE I WAS A CHILD
    GOOD FOR YOU FOR SAVING LIVES, I CANT WAIT TO TRAVEL AS WELL GOD BLESS YOU