Become a Nurse >> Browse Articles >> Specialties >> Holistic Nursing

Become a Holistic Nurse

Become a Holistic Nurse

NCCAM.NIH.gov & NursingLink

What is Holistic Nursing?

Holistic nursing has been broadly defined by the American Holistic Nurses Association as, “all nursing practice that has healing the whole person as its goal”. The perspective of the holistic nurse is one that takes into account the interconnectedness of mental, physical, and spiritual health into their traditional nursing practice. The holistic nurse draws from a defined set of theories and practices rooted in complementary and alternative healthcare (CAM). In 2006 the field of Holistic Nursing was officially recognize as a nursing specialization by the American Nurses Association, and with that came a more precise set of criteria for the field.

Although can be applied broadly, the field of Holistic Nursing is a specialty practice that is based upon:

Are You At Risk for Burnout?

Burned Out?
Your patients demand a lot, and you want to help. But are you pushing yourself too hard, for too long? Don't let yourself get burned out on the job. Find out if you're at risk!

TAKE THE QUIZ >>

• A body of knowledge
• Evidence-based research
• Sophisticated skills
• Defined standards of practice
• A diversity of modalities from a broad range of health practices
• A philosophy of living and being that is grounded in caring, relationship, and interconnectedness

There are now two certifications available: Holistic Nursing and Advanced Holistic Nursing. Read more about getting certified on the next pages.

What are the Subfields of Holistic Nursing?

National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine (NCCAM) groups complementary and alternative Medical (CAM) practices into four domains, recognizing there can be some overlap. In addition, NCCAM studies CAM whole medical systems, which cut across all domains.

Whole Medical Systems

Whole medical systems are built upon complete systems of theory and practice. Often, these systems have evolved apart from and earlier than the conventional medical approach used in the United States. Examples of whole medical systems that have developed in Western cultures include homeopathic medicine and naturopathic medicine. Examples of systems that have developed in non-Western cultures include traditional Chinese medicine and Ayurveda.

Mind-Body Medicine

Mind-body medicine uses a variety of techniques designed to enhance the mind’s capacity to affect bodily function and symptoms. Some techniques that were considered CAM in the past have become mainstream (for example, patient support groups and cognitive-behavioral therapy). Other mind-body techniques are still considered CAM, including meditation, prayer, mental healing, and therapies that use creative outlets such as art, music, or dance.

Next: Biologically Based Practices >>

• Blue_birds_max50

neerukp

I totally agree with Holistic Nursing concept., It is essential in the field of Health Care

• Last_pic_max50

HerbalNurse

I am a holistic nurse, and have taken 2 Wellness Coaching programs. I also integrate essential oils other natural therapies in my work...

ronn

Now that we have the concept explained I can't help from wondering where can we find holistic nurses. I never met one and just in case I am interested I'd like to know how we can find them. I like to think that I am open minded, I keep in touch with a chiropractor and things couldn't be better with my health, yet, I generally like to know what are my real options.

chrge1

Holistic nursing is a specialty field just as any other specialty. Although nursing should always address the conept of the whole person in a holistic way, Holistic certification attaches theory to that practice and recognizes the proficiency attained by the individual nurse in that field. It is the foundation for practice and research. It will strengthen the profession of nursing in general and its members will be the frontier for future nursing. You do not have to be a nurse to join AHNA.org.
    You do not have to be a nurse to become certified in a CAM modality. Certification in H.N. , however, is important to help authenticate the specialty.

beebeenurse

I cant believe and do NOT agree with the required length of schooling for holistic nursing! i think they require too much! Its just "holistic" nursing which falls under the term alternative medicine?

• Christine_max50

CPriddy

I didn't realize how complex this field of study is, as far as schooling that you must already have before hand. WOW