Become a Nurse >> Browse Articles >> Specialties

6 Rewarding Specialties

6 Rewarding Specialties

NursingLink

Nursing is one of the most in demand professions in America. There is a projected need for 1,001,000 Registered Nurses and 309,000 LPNs / LVNs ending in the year 2016. The nursing shortage gives potential nurses leverage when deciding the location of the hospital they want to work. The shortage also means there is a greater chance you will be hired (assuming you pass the NCLEX); thus, providing a great return on invested capital.

Most registered nurses choose to follow a career path focused on a specific nursing specialty that fits their personality and intellectual interests. Some specialties involve being certified by a professional board or association which will often increase a nurse’s wages and long-term promotion potential.

Not sure where your niche lies? Take one of these short interactive quizzes to see what nurse specialty is the right fit for you.

Cardiac Care Nurse
Geriatric Nurse
Nurse Anesthetist
Plastic Surgery Nurse
Pediatric
Psychiatric

Related Reads:
The NCLEX Study Center: Guides, Sample Questions, Study Groups, and More!
Get Noticed at Promotion Time
How to Be Happy at Work

nursingsucks

The nursing environment is toxic to the nurse. Her/his basic caring skills are stretched to the point of burnout early on. It is the most thankless profession on earth. I feel chewed up and spit out when I think of my years of dedicated nursing. When I was a fresh new nurse, many years ago, I had energy, passion and curiousity for the job. After time working with doctors, who have the god complex, patients who truly believe we are there to totally wait on them hand and foot, and administration who recognizes us once a year (maybe) with a cheap dollar store totesack, I am longing for reitrement and isolation from the world.

• Angieblone_max50

ANGIEWIESNER

I WOULD NEVER ADVICE ANYONE TO BE A NURSE. MY BACK, MY SOUL, MY OUTLOOK ON LIFE, ALL THE SUFFERING I SAW WASN'T WORTH THE MONEY.....IT WAS REWARDING WHEN I WAS YOUNGER BUT NOW IT HAS DESTROYED MY BACK AND MIND AND ATTITUDE.

bhroniesjackson

From experience, the critical care specialties are always in demand: ICU, PICU, CVICU, ER.
    It is tough to place Psych, some L&D due to add'l insurance requirements, believe it or not, MS.. most hospitals are requiring travelers to be tele certified. The rationale is why hire someone to work MS when you can float someone from another unit.. still cheaper than hiring someone as a traveler.

Smart Lipo

camelia

i am an esthetician that i work with a plastic surgeon right now, i have a medical background in my country but no licence in usa is any department in a hospital that could hired a aesthetician,and also i am a nursing student too.

• Photo_041908_001_max50

ladybugbow

im in the wrong profession!

• Photo_041908_001_max50

ladybugbow

im in the wrong profession!

• Photo_041908_001_max50

ladybugbow

constance, try a junior college for an LVN/LPN program. they are an affordable way to get your foot in the door to the medical field. most programs are 10-12 mos, then you take your state boards. there are online programs to transition from LVN/LPN to RN. if you need more help, let me know

Constance_Tavares4

I want to become a Nurse, but what do I do, all of the schools are wanting you to either be an LPN, RN already. Help Please