Back to School Guide for Nursing Students
Study Tips and Tricks
Despite the fun you may have on the weekend, the real reason you are in college in to learn. And, for most, learning involves studying – lots of studying. Don’t settle for all-nighters and 10 cups of black coffee. Use these tips and tricks to help you make it through the year:
• Study in Chunks. Focus on one subject for 30-50 minutes and then take a break for 5-10 minutes.
• Study in the Daytime. Do your hardcore studying during the daytime. You will be more efficient because you will have more energy and be able to concentrate better.
• Create a Study Schedule. Pencil in time to study every day and stick to the plan. Rank your classes and study in order of importance.
• Avoid All-Nighters. Cramming everything in at the last minute will not allow you to retain as much information as if you had studied a little bit each night for several weeks. Instead of staying up all night, bolstered by coffee and Red Bull, review the material in the evening and get 8 hours of sleep the night before an exam.
• Take Good Notes. In order to get the most out of your studying, you need to be able to understand what is it you are reading. Take clear, organized notes at every class. Develop a system that you understand and stick with it. You notes can then be turned into a flow chart of sorts for more effective studying.
• Use Color. Color-code your notes for help remembering key topics and ideas. Use a highlighter to point out major themes.