Become a Nurse >> Browse Articles >> Specialties >> Travel Nursing

Travel Nursing: Understanding Compact Licensure

Travel Nursing: Understanding Compact Licensure

C. Mike Emery, RN, CEO

Most travel nurses have heard the term “compact state”. While the concept of a “compact state” seems straight forward, there are a few circumstances that exist which all travel nurses should be fully aware of.

Let’s begin with the basics and then drill down to the common circumstances that are sometimes misunderstood or unknown.

What is Nurse Licensure Compact? The general definition is a mutual recognition model which allows a nurse to have one nursing license in his/her state of residency which permits practice in reciprocal states, subject to each state’s practice law and regulation. Nurse licensure Compact began with four states in 2000 and has now grown to 23 participating states. The participating states are:

● Arizona
● Virginia
● Wisconsin
● Rhode Island

Next: How does Nursing Licensure Compact Affect Travel Nurses? >>

• Me_and_matt_july_2009_max50

AshlyRN

I am a resident and currently hold an RN license in a compact state. I am interested in moving to a state that has not yet instituted the Nursing Licensure Compact. Can I maintain my permanent address in my home state while I take residence in the non-NLC state, therefore holding two active licenses at once?

dcm1245

when a nurse signs on with a travel agency, does that agency inform, assist, nurse in gathering all documents for each assignment?

• Cmemerypicture_max50

CoachM1ke

RNn94:
    Most hospitals prefer a traveler that can hit the floor running. What I mean by that is they want travelers with recent experience in their area of specialty. So, if you want to become a traveling nurse, I would recommend going back to the ICU and refreshing your skills. ICU travelers are in high demand. Best wishes for success in your career!

• Cmemerypicture_max50

CoachM1ke

struggling:
    It is rare to see LPN travels, but it does exist. Most LPN travel opportunities that I see are for long term care facilities that are part of a health system. To answer your last question, LPN's are needed and provide a valuable service. However, you are correct in your assessment that most hospitals prefer RN's. I wish you the best success in your career.

• Cmemerypicture_max50

CoachM1ke

ronnie722:
    To see the most current list of compact states, visit this website: http://www.ncsbn.org

RNn94

I have 31 years of nursing experience; 17 years as a LPN and 8 years Critical care RN. I've been away from the hospital for 6 years. During that time I worked at a pediatric office and long term care. Now I would like to travel. Where do I start?

ronnie722

i would like to know if there are other states that have implemented this into there states that are not shown in this list of states . i live in new jersey and would like to know new jersey will be on this list or if they are on the list already . thank you R.McGowan New Jersey

struggling

lpn nurses are rarely mentioned for a traveling nurse, do Private duty nurses exist for traveling? And, why are lpn classes still held in schools when the hosps. rarely hire an lpn?