Become a Nurse >> Browse Articles >> NCLEX

Become a Nurse >> Browse Articles >> Nursing 101

Become a Nurse >> Browse Articles >> Nursing School

Do You Have What it Takes to Be a Nurse?

Do You Have What it Takes to Be a Nurse?

Megan Malugani | Monster Contributing Writer

Although people considering careers in nursing come from all walks of life, many potential nurses share a surprisingly common set of questions and concerns, such as “Can I get into nursing school?” and “Am I crazy to become a nurse at my age?” Two nurses and a nursing professor address wannabe nurses’ frequently asked questions.

How difficult is it to get into nursing school?

It’s pretty tough. In many nursing programs, competition is fierce for a limited number of spots, so students need stellar grades from high school or their first few years of college to earn acceptance into a program. Nursing schools simply don’t have the capacity to accept as many students as are qualified. The American Association of Colleges of Nursing reports that US nursing schools turned away 40,285 qualified applicants in 2007-08 due to a shortage of nursing faculty, a lack of clinical placement sites and budget constraints.

Persistence may be the key for those who are truly passionate about becoming nurses. “A lot of people I know had to [apply] more than once,” says Karen Burnett, RN, a labor and delivery nurse at Methodist Dallas Medical Center. Some of Burnett’s friends even repeated courses to improve their grades.

Next: Math and Science Whiz? >>

MaureenMyhre

Mormon Giggles: You can do all of that or something close to that. I had a great friend who is a nurse, has five children, has lived on more than one farm that she and her husband bought ( not sure really why they have moved so much, but now they are on at least their fourth farm that they have owned not rented) and she has worked in a rural hospital on the weekends so she can be with her kids during the week. They lived in town for awhile very near the hospital where she worked, but they wanted to get back to living on a farm. So they bought a farm and now she commutes to work, maybe 20- 30 miles, but remember there is no rush hour in the country. You can do it!!! Don't be discouraged. Nursing jobs are available all over!!! Country and city!!!

archeryl

FYI: I don't know how it is in each state, but in California, if you have been a CNA for over 5 years, you can challenge the LVN/LPN boards. You just have to take the required pharmacology class. I believe that at any age you can be a nurse because all in all, the only thing you need is common sense, multi-tasking skills, good bedside manner and patience. Everything else can be learned on the floor. I've been a nurse for 6 years now and it's definitely a rewarding and fulfilling occupation. It allows you to view life in a different perspective. But you definitely work for your pay.

• 1104782_f4961_max50

NursingCarePlan

No its really easy. Talk to the hospital nurse recruiter. Also there are CEU programs that will legally allow you to add initials to the back of that R.N. I would suggest looking at the state board of nursing website for your state :D

Ready1

I have been a cna for over 24 years and at one point I wanted to be a Lpn, but as the years went by I kept thinking I couldn't pull it off, due to all the math. I am now 52 and I still have these feelings of being a nurse, However I think I would make a wonderful nurse. The idea of all the math and chemisty kind of get in the way of my thinking at times, I went to a nearby community college and applied. I start the prerec's in the fall of 2010 and as of now it's a 2-3 year wait for the nursing program still, but I with the gen- eds and prerec's it will take me that long anyway by the time my name come's up on the list. So I pray I make it through, I know it's going to be hard but there are so many people who feel as I do and made it! so I feel I can make it too. So for all of you who feel as I do, GOOD LUCK ! and GOD BLESS !

Mormongiggles

haha looking at the ages on what everyone wrote i seem alittle out of place ;) im 15 and i actually just reasently wanted to become a nurse, my main intrest was cooking and i wanted to become a mother, haha with 12 kids, i know carzy, ;) but i was at school and my friend had this test in bio. over bones and it made me remember how much i liked that topic in health, and then i got thinking about how ive always really liked health. ;) idk if its just cause my mother was a mid wife and is now a RN. here in indiana or what but the more i thought about it the more i wanted to become a nurse, personaly im not to good with the older people, so i wanted to either become a mid wife or work in pediatrics. I know its not gana be all fun and happy, being with babies and kids all the time, they will be sick, some will die. and ill have to work with parents and screaning in pain mothers too, but as i said i grew up with a mid wife mother, ive learned alot of things most kids dont really need to learn ;) but also things that i think can help me out if i do choose to go threw with this, im not some happy go lucky girl, and i know it would be hard, and as a fresmon in school with not the best grades im alittle worried if i can do it myself, but im not stupid, just not modivated most the time, but i know i could do this if i tryed, grades wouldnt really be a probelm, i can do good in school, the only thing is i had my life planned, not that i thought it was actually gana turn out how i wanted, i knew it wouldnt but i wanted to be a pastry chef, a mother of 12 kids and a farm with all different animals and a garden so i could make my own (heathier) food, and make cakes on the side if i ever had the time when my kids got older, but now this nursing this has changed my whole perspective, i still really want the kids, i know 12 isnt to realistic, but still i want a good amount, but i know haveing alot of kids and being a nurse is about imposiable expecialy if i want a farm too, i know its either gana be one or the other really, im just having a hard time choosing, ive wanted this farm life for a long time, and then it just all changes one day, and i dont know which to choose. do i pick the job that i know i can be good at and will love but have less of a big family and prob. not much of a "home maker" life, or have the screaming, laughing, tragic, playful, 12 (or so ;)) kids and a farm with horses and mountains and pigs and chickens that i want so much too. the other thing is ( i know ill really sound like a high little happy girl now) but the guy im gana marry (yes i know who he is, yes he knows about this all too, and no im not sleeping with him, not even dating, ;) i cant till im 16, he's just my best friend for now ;) ) hes gana be a enganeer of some kind, and says "i dont have to work" ( even though with 12 kids we would really need the money so idk what he's talking bout ;) but ) but i think what he means is he wants me to be the mother/ homemaker/ farmer girl, but he wont say that cause he wants me to do what i want, i know he wants a family, and hes all up for me working as a chef, but i think when it comes to me being a nurse hes alittle less enthusiastic (cant really spell sorry ;) ) cause he is really one of the family guys, not that i wont have a family still, just it will be smaller, he came from a family of 10 kids so its not like 12 is imposiable, he wanted from like 7 - 8 really, but i can get carried away and want 12 ;) but before this gets to long ;) it could help to get some imput on what any of you think i should do, go with my first plan, or change everything overnight, what should i do?

kristinaheiner14

HI :)
    I am 20 years old and I have been interested in becoming a registered nurse!! I Know I am going to be great nurse someday- I am positive, caring, motherly, a great woker, etc. I do have concerns on how Im going to pay for my college?! Like where can I find scholarships or grants to apply for?! I have been looking but Im not sure if I am looking in the right direction!! Any suggestions!!!

THANKS =]

divad722002

hi,

just new here at nursing link. do you still have the saunder review. if in case you should lend me my address is 8309 cedros avunue apt 209, panorama city , los angeles california, usa. my email divad722002@yahoo.com. landline-1818-894-2688.just arrive as immigrant and certifiied nurse in the philippines and planning to take the nclex to have licensed here in california. thanks and regards and advance merrychristmas and happy new year. your new co friend in the nursing link website.

dave

• Desert_landscape_max50

heartofanurse

very supportive article

great info

• Deployed_dec_02_-_mar_03_083_max50

USAFlightMedic

A great recruiting article with a great deal of truth.

• 1230623w131_sq90_max50

gospellove772003

i always have had this desire to help people before i even knew what be a nurse was, i believe God gave this yearning to me because im such a tender hearted person and helping the people is my desire not only physically but mentally as well. iv heard said many times when something is for you its for you no matter what you have to go through with its yours.

judithbland

I like being able to take care of people,i guess i have always been a care taker.One doctor i worked for told me i had a special gift and that God blessed me . Here i am 59 and still wanting
    to be a nurse. I have worked in different fields but now it has been hard to really find a job. i would like to go to a LVN/LPN nursing school.I am a medical assistant at the present time.

amandadustin

I graduated at 51 this year from a university with my BSN. I passed my boards in July and am beginning my first job as an RN. MANY times I wondered if I was making the right decision. It was a long grueling process. If I had not stuck with it (with the support of my husband and family)I would never have known the supreme satisfaction and sense of accomplishment that I now feel. What a thrill it is to know what I know and have earned the opportunity to continue to work and grow in a field that chose me as much as I chose it. Keep going. Your day will come.

• Fagaroos_max50

dfktwins

I am fifty years old and I graduated from the RN program December 17,2009. I took state boards in february and I passed and I have been working as an RN since then.I have not been in school for 25 yrs, I was terrified of math , and going to school with kids the same age of some of my children. However, I received the most support from the young ones. With Gods help, family and my new classmates, and tutors support I maintained a's and b's throughout school. I am speaking from my heart if I did it I am confident that all of you will make it. I went to school about fifty miles from home because the waiting list were so long near home, it was worth it! God bless all of you in your quest to nursing.

lorrainej

I am 52 years old and am completing my prerequisites into nursing. I spent 27 years on Wall Street and after getting laid off twice, I decided to pursue my first dream. I am not a friend of math and it does not like me either, but I am taking my math classes at a slow pace. When I went to my orientation, I was pleasantly surprised to see other potential students, male and female in my age group and older. I know its going to be tough especially since I have not been in school for a long time. I have 3 more prerequisites to take (AP 1 & 2 and chemistry). I wish everyone here the best of luck and looking forward to working in the field of nursing.