LPN/LVN Jobs >> Browse Videos >> General Healthcare

+3

Dennis Quaid's Hospital Heparin Nightmare (Clip from 60 Minutes)

Video Submitted by:
Editornurse_max50

editor

over 6 years ago

91 videos submitted

Dennis Quaid's newborn twins nearly died due to a hospital medication error. Steve Kroft's interviews Dennis Quaid on 60 Minutes about the ordeal. (The hospital was recently ordered to pay a $25,000 fine.)

Share |
+3
  • Img001_max50

    ShirleyAldrich

    over 5 years ago

    38 comments

    Unfortunately this happens more times than we are made aware of. I think that the drug company and the nurse should be blamed. If she did not understand the labeling then she should have verified with someone else and also the nurse should have verifed the dosage with someone else with this drug anyway.

  • Img00108_1__max50

    Miss_Janelle1

    over 6 years ago

    6 comments

    this situation is really disappointing but there's really no one to truly point the finger at i have been in a hospital setting and when things a busy and there's a lot going on there's room for mistakes to happen the end turned out to be great the survived and are in good health and thats what counts at the end of the day

  • Dsc00096_max50

    Tetany

    over 6 years ago

    8 comments

    I'm an ER nurse and I see the potential for mistakes every day. Poor penmanship, hectic pace, stress, these things and more can affect medication administration. However, some rules never change. Triple check the medications before administration. Make sure you have the right patient. Remember the 5 rules! When handling a HIGH ALERT medication like heparin, our hospital REQUIRES another nurse's verification that you are administering the right med. This isn't a slight against the nurse in question, it just makes good sense. Thank goodness the babes are all right.

  • Me_1_max50

    Mel_nurse13

    over 6 years ago

    6 comments

    I don't think the blame lies on any one individual. We are all human beings and accidents do happen. It is highly unlikely that that morning before work that nurse or any of the hospital personnel said as they were brushing their teeth. "I think today I will go into work and overdose Dennis Quaid's twins with heparin". This is an eye-opener and measures should be taken to change labeling or other check and balance procedures so this kind of thing does not happen. I am a cna and although I do not administer meds in my scope of practice. I can see how these mistakes could happen. It should be a lessen to all of us who are in nursing or want to become nurses.

  • 0802082016_1__max50

    justinenursing

    over 6 years ago

    238 comments

    This is a good hospital and yes we are nurses and this does not excuse the nurse for makeing the mistakes they made however this is a lession learned. I have friend's that work there and I would trust them with my life.

  • Photo_user_blank_big

    nancyhinz

    over 6 years ago

    4 comments

    Does the blame lie solely on the nurse or should the blame lie on the inadequacy of the drug companies labeling

  • Photo_user_blank_big

    Stephanie82

    over 6 years ago

    104 comments

    Would this have been in the news if this didnt happen to Dennis Quaid's children? How many times has this happened and it did not make the news?

  • Picture_2_max50

    NLGeneralManager

    over 6 years ago

    32 comments

    Cedar Sinai is such a great hospital - but whew. Quaid and Kroft both mention that the labels on heparin are confusing. More heparin overdoses occur proportionately than most other drugs.

Share a Video

Upload your favorite video.

Submit a Video