Nurse Supervisor Jobs >> Browse Articles >> Work-Life Balance

Happy Nurse’s Week!

Happy Nurse’s Week!

Rob Cameron | Scrubs Magazine

May 04, 2011

Happy Nurse’s week to all my fellow nurses out there! This is the week to celebrate our growth, accomplishments and the impact we have made on the health of the entire nation.

One thing that has bugged me about his week is how nurses have been kind of lost in the shuffle of the whole thing and it is now about the organization and not necessarily about the nurses. At my hospital and several others I have worked at, it has now become National Hospital Week celebrations, with nursing as an afterthought. Typical right?

All the celebration for the contribution of nursing has been extended to everybody else in the organization. The Physical Therapists get the same recognition this week as the nurses do…and then on Physical Therapist day they get it again.

I know we didn’t become nurses for the recognition; we did it for the perks like cleaning up stool, the smell of a necrotic wound and being put down my physicians. But it would be nice if just that one week or even day a year that everybody else could step back and say thank you for all you do, and recognize that the hospital could not function if it were not for us.

I for one will recognize everything you all do and say thank you. Thank you to the nurses that took care of my father when he had a heart attack, the oncology nurses that saved my mothers life when she had breast cancer. Thank you to the NICU nurses that took care of my daughter for those four terrible and magical days. Thank you to all the nurses that taught me what it really means to be a nurse by their positive, and negative, behaviors. Thank you to all the nurses that work their tails off for our unit each and every day. And, thank you to all of you for what you do for our patients. I am humbled to be a part of the nursing profession.

Join the conversation and celebrate National Nursing Week with other nurses, just like you!

More on ScrubsMag.com:

In Featured: Nurses Week: Much Ado About Nothing?
In News: Nurses Plan to Boycott Nurses Week
In Myths & Misconceptions: National Nurses Week – What is it All About?

Related Reads:

renata75

8 months ago

*When I originally commented I clicked the -Notify me when new comments are added- checkbox and now each time a comment is added I get four emails with the same comment. Is there any way you can remove me from that service? Thanks!iphone 5c cases

robertsidam

Education is definitely important for all ages. It doesn't matter if you couldn't achieve a very high level of formal education. You still could achieve the informal one at least.
    teen pussy

toolman11

You are really working so hard to maintain the quality "I have been looking everywhere for this! Thank goodness I found it on Bing. Contains wonderful and useful messages."

Regards,
    DeWalt Tools

danielstaiculescu

Too bad that in some hospitals there are still plenty of nurses, especially in my country that don' t fulfill their duties the right way, and malpractice is often seen. Their work lacks of professionalism and it' s a shame this happens. Anyway, for the others, thanks for the entire contribution to the society. All the best!
    RCA ieftin

toolman11

We cant wait so long just to jestify him "title were both cck fields, and since cck's token implementation was not being included"

Regards,
    Hand Tools

Jospeph

Thanks Rob for sharing this, we all need are very happy and I hope that every nurse in the world may celebrate this week.
    online business degrees | Online education degree

Jospeph

Happy nurses week to all, this day is special as we the nurses need some time for ourselves.
    diploma online | online diploma | Design degree

• 1316175903_bender__glorious_golden__max50

danz

Happy Nurses Week! We must be grateful for all the nurses out there who help people in need. Without them society as we know it wouldn't be possible. Cheers! asigurarea obligatorie a locuintei

toolman11

He really liked the way in which this article is written. It makes you think of all the points that have been stressed out. The points stressed out make his mind think critically.

Regards,
    Repair Parts

toolman11

Did you hear this news! "The Green Party of Canada is the first party to announce support for our Vote For the Internet campaign. Green Party Leader Elizabeth May has already registered her support on our site. "

Regards,
    Cheap Tools

• Michelle_max50

MichellePatterson

I was looking up some information about SteroidSources.com on Google and I also managed to find your article here. I have to say that nurses are very important in the medical field. They are the people who sometimes keep the hope alive for patients. That is a very tough job.