Nurse Supervisor Jobs >> Browse Articles >> Work-Life Balance

Top 40 Slang Terms Nurses Use

Top 40 Slang Terms Nurses Use

Scrubs Magazine

October 13, 2010

If you’ve ever treated a “frequent flyer” patient with a case of “Nintendo thumb” or “Avatar blues,” you may be familiar with this list of 40 humorous nursing lingo terms.

Courtesy of our Scrubs Magazine readers and SlangRN.com we present these slang terms nurses use and wonder, what are some more? Scroll to the bottom to submit your favorites!

1. Frequent Flyer

Definition: One who visits healthcare providers, emergency departments, etc. for every little health problem, often drug seeking or wanting work excuses.

— contributed by scrubsmag.com reader, Kelly

2. Boyfriend

Definition: The cute little old men who are a joy to take care of.

— contributed by scrubsmag.com reader, Grace

3. BONITA

Definition: An acronym used in the ER which stands for ‘Big ‘Ol Needle in the A$$.’

Usage: I’m about to give this patient a bonita.

— contributed by scrubsmag.com Facebook fan, Tiffany Pizzimenti

Nursescold_max200w

RN: Acronym for Refuses/Resists Nonsense.

4. DFO

Defintion: Acronym for ‘Done Fell Out.’

— contributed by scrubsmag.com Facebook fan, Nanci Leigh Nix

5. MD

Definition: Acronym for Makes Decisions.

Usage: Do you see MD after my name? That means Makes Decisions.

— contributed by scrubsmag.com Facebook fan, Maranda Thompson

6. RN

Definition: Acronym for Refuses/Resists Nonsense.

Usage: Do you see RN after my name? It stands for Resists/Refuses Nonsense!

— contributed by scrubsmag.com Facebook fan, Maranda Thompson

Next: TMB >>

nursepatti2010

Some I haven't heard and some I have used...often. For those who think they are *offensive*...don't use them. For those that do...keep doing it. Those little things allow you to cope with the harsh realities of healthcare ... especially over the last 10 years...and keep doing what it is you do...WITHOUT becoming a cranky, old Nurse Ratchet. I've worked pediatrics for years...and if you don't think nurses... especially pediatric nurses...need some kind of valve release in the work place when we, as nurses, deal with SO much on a daily basis... well...you all must be saints then. Every profession has them. I'd love to hear the ones lawyers have...

• Blue_birds_max50

Thats' nice

• Blue_birds_max50

neerukp

Funny

• 0116002324a_max50

firelyte42

these always make me smile

• Meatwrk_max50

NIATHENURSE

SERIOUSLY? O WOW I NEVER KNEW THERE WAS SUCH A THING!

gemini52981

I have to admit, just about all of these seem to be un-professional and a bit vulgar. Obviously these didn't come from a college or buisness that I would want to be schooled or treated in...sry...truth hurts...

kgarrison

A few others I've heard -

Shart - Combination of S**t and a Fart. Usage: "Did the resident have a bowel movement?" "Not really, he just sharted."

FLK - Funny Looking Kid. Often comes from FLPs. (Funny Looking Parents). Usage: "Does he have a disability? No, he's just a FLK."

Skin Funk - any combination of skin conditions. Usage: "make sure to wear your gloves when tranferring the patient. She's got some skin funk going on."

ScotS

World is way too serious.
    Lighten up and smile.

sandspaws

I have never heard any nurse use half this so called RN "slang" in 20 years...if I ever did I would think their days of having a humanitarian heart are over and so should their career...and working in the ICU and ER is no excuse for bad manners...your idea of having a sense of humor is just plain having a BAD ATTITUDE...believe me no sick or injured person needs a "burnt out" nurse in charge of them, you better rethink you career Tricia!

desertgypsy

One saying that is popular in the south - FTD. Fixin' to die. Also DRT - died right there.

• Tricia_business_photo__1__max50

triciapatterson58

Oh, lighten up a little! It's gallows humor, nothing more. I've worked ICU; you have to have some humor to survive. As long as a patient doesn't hear it, I think it's okay to let off steam.