Nurse Supervisor Jobs >> Browse Articles >> Work-Life Balance

Work-at-Home Options for Nurses

Work-at-Home Options for Nurses

Linda Childers | Monster Contributing Writer

October 13, 2008

Telecommuting provides an attractive option for nurses seeking flexibility and work/life balance. Many large companies hire nurses to work from home doing a variety of jobs. Here’s a look at three options: triage (also called telehealth), medical transcription and case management.

Telehealth

Over the past three years, McKesson Health Solutions, a health care services and IT provider, has increased its at-home worker population from 13 to more than 500 agents. Most are RNs who provide over-the-phone triage and disease-management services. Patients can call in with health questions, while nurses make outbound calls to patients with chronic conditions such as asthma and diabetes.

To qualify as a telehealth nurse for McKesson, candidates should have at least an associate degree in nursing, three to five years of recent acute nursing experience, and strong clinical documentation and assessment skills. They should also be self-motivated and enjoy working independently. In addition, they must have strong Internet and typing skills and a working knowledge of Windows.

“We can offer nurses the kind of flexibility they often can’t find in other jobs,” says Linda Casey, senior operations manager at McKesson. “We can ensure their schedule allows them time to attend their children’s soccer games as well as other personal appointments.”

Salaries and benefits for telehealth nurses are very competitive, and openings exist nationwide, Casey says.

IntelliCare, a health care contact center company, and United Healthcare offer similar work-at-home opportunities for nurses.

Next: Medical Transcription >>

• Dsc_3325_max50

nutmeg

about 1 month ago

I have an Associates Degree in Nursing. In my 46 years of nursing I have acquired lots of knowledge. Being a Public Health Nurse for many years I have experience in Child Health, Maternity, TB, HIV, and Epidemology I was in charge of the Cardio Vascular Clinic, and Diabetic Clinic Lots of Nutritional counseling. Following Public Health Nursing I moved over to education. I was the Coordinator of Healthcare Assistant Program where I taught adults on becoming a NA and to start work on an entry level, and encouraged my students to continue their education, which some did. I have lots of clinical experience with good communication skills with face to face and via telephone. I worked in an acute nursing facility several years and have moon lighted at a Clinic and worked with many different Physicians and set their clinics up, and see patients. Some of the Physicians were Internist, Neurologist, Family Medicine, Orthopedics, Cardiologist, and Surgeons. I have good computer skills and good documentation skills. Thank you for reading my qualifications. E-mail patricia.nause@yahoo.com

KathyG

about 1 month ago

I have a RN, BSN degree. I have worked at the same Hospital for the past 29 years. I have work on med-surg floor 15 yrs as Staff Rn and then Nurse Manager. I have worked the past 14 yrs with the Hospital Specialty Clinic . I have worked directly daily with Specialty Doctors --Have work with Endocrinologist, Rheumatologist, Neuro-surgeon and curently Infectious Disease Doctors. .I have years experience in the clinical setting with communicating with patient over the phone . I I have experience with computers with medical programs for documentation. I am getting ready to retire from the Hospital I have worked at my entire career, but would like to work at home still using my education and skills. I would appreciate reciving information that your company has for an RN in Telhealth. My email is grif285@bellsouth.net Thank you for your Time

ssalaz

I have been a nurse for 28 yrs. at the same hospital. I have surgery, er, icu, endoscopy, floor, and presently iv infusion experience. My daughter is an RN in San Antonio and works from home. I would love to do the same. I am currently located in Lubbock, Tx Please send me info at ssalazrn@sbcglobal.net thanks!
    also very computer literate. Learn programs fast.

jazjaz

I am an RN with experience in Spinal Cord (Neuro), Ortho, Cardiac, Stroke, Rehabilitation. End Stage Cancer, Oncology patient advocate. Guiding patient and family through the needs of patients final wishes and the ability of dying with dignity. My location is in Pittsburgh Pa. Searching for a work at home position. Please contact me at melissab125@hotmail.com

cwalk

RN familiar with McKesson home care program. Am semi retired folowing a career of 26 years, most recently as a Director of Clinical Services for a national home care co.. Excellent knowledge of Medicare and State specific guidelines and regulations. Wishing to work from home. residing in Mn.

Happydi

I have been a nurse for 40 Years and after working for 8 years 11-7 in a Rehab Hospital I just stopped working now i would like to do non clinical work if it is possible. I will be 62 in 2013 and I plan to retire then. Please HELP.
    Diane M

• New_hairdo_may_13__2011_max50

lynnnurse

I am an RN with Med/Surg. experience as well as pediatrics and geriatric experience. I have previous experience as a patient advocate in a Rehab./Nursing home setting. I also have years of experience as a Respiratory Therapist in a large hospital. In addition, I have a Bachelor's degree in Organizational Management. I am a self-starter, am very literate and organized, with computer skills. I would like to have a stay-at-home position. My location is in Northeast Georgia. Please contact me at ATLHIKER@hotmail.com.

judy12347

I am a LPN , I have a Associate degree in paralegal, legal nurse, I also have CORE training for Assisted Living. I have worked as a Director of Nursing in Assisted living In Florida Twice. I am licensed to work as a Administrator in Assisted Living . I was A Director of Medical Records for 14 years In Philadelphila, Pa. I have worked as a U.R. nurse and account's recievable for 10 years. I also was a guardian for many residents between 1991-2008. I can do almost anything . I am looking for home work part time . I have computer skills .Reach me Judeenwhiskers@aol.com

suernccm

I am a Registered Nurse/Certified Case Manager who has been working as a field case manager in Workers Compensation for the past 9 years. I also have 12 years of internal case management experience in group health and hospital setting. Please contact me at suern@htc.net

• Fun_pictures_025_max50

jazywun

I am a RN currently and I also have a LPN license. I worked as a LPN in NYC hospitals and home care agencies from 1987 until 2002, when i obtained by RN license. I am currently a Dialysis nurse and I also do visiting nursingl I have strong computer and typing skills which i obtained as a secretary prior to my nursing career. I am seeking a work at home position with any reputable company who needs a RN. Please contact: jazywun50@hotmail.com. Thank you.

lilymonster

RN, Certification in Case Management - almost 30 years in nursing, medical auditing, case management and utilization review. Interested in work from home/telecommuting position. Contact: lilymonster@embarqmail.com

cdlane01

I am an LPN with 12 years experience ranging from Peds to OR to Family Practice and GYN. I also have a Bachelors in Business Administration. I am very interested in working form home. Please contact me at cambri@embarqmail.com. Thank you, Cambri

lindadeanrn

I am a RN with 28 years experience. I am currently working as bed management/placement. I have 6 years case management experience. Contact me at linda.deanrn@yahoo.com.

trayse24

I'm a BSN with 15 years experience. I've worked in several areas, nursing home, hospital, & most recently clinic for the last 8 yrs. In a Family Practice, Med/Peds clinic. Patient age ranges from birth up. Please contact me at trayse24@yahoo.com I would love to work from home thank you, tracy

Addisyn

I am a registerd nurse with 5 years experience med surg, geriatric, and float nursing with a previous 4 1/2 years as a LPN in geriatric and med surg nursing. I am very interested in working from home. I currently have a bachelor's degree in registered nursing. Please contact me at trezliltwk@bigskyhsd.com. Thanks Julie