Nurse Supervisor Jobs >> Browse Articles >> Health + Wellness

22 Affordable Ways for Nurses to De-Stress

Nina Kim, Georgia Price | NursingLink

July 20, 2009

Whether you’re an palliative care nurse dealing with end-of-life care, or a nurse educator teaching the next generation of RNs, any job in nursing can be overwhelming and stressful. Learning how to manage stress and channel it through positive means is vital, not just for a successful career, but for your happiness and well-being too.

If you don’t take time to unwind, constant stress can lead to a number of physical and psychological problems, like poor concentration, depression, back pain and weight gain. It also weakens your immune system and increases your risk for cancer and cardiovascular disease.

That’s why NursingLink came up with these 22 different ways to de-stress without breaking the bank. So hit pause, relax and indulge in some much needed (and affordable!) R&R. A hardworking nurse like you deserves it!

Next: Childhood Memories >>

• John_001_max600_max50

Nurse_John

These are all good ideas and there are many more. Stress relief is mostly a personal thing. Everyone has their own ways to cope with stress. At work I will tell a co-worker I am leaving the floor for 5 minutes, then walk to the elevator ride down to the ground floor, then back up to my floor and back to the unit. All the time I am doing some deep breathing exercises. It works for me. At home I deal with stress by relaxing and reading a good book.

• Wedding_058_max50

nursesusiee

Oh my gosh!!!!!! That trail is in Portland :) that's a 15 mile hike to get to the waterfall in their picture ;)

• Beautiful_lady_max50

mskbsn06

Wonderful ideas, now all of us nurses just have to be sure and do some of these things to nuture ourselves and bring us relaxation. Go Nurses!

• Last_pic_max50

HerbalNurse

Great article!

going to the major music store in NY, near the World Trade Center has always relaxed me. I go in and wander up and down the aisles, listening to the store's music-they always have good stuff playing- and looking at CDs. i usually buy something but my mind is free of the stress of the day. I can feel the neck and shoulder tension slide away.

• 270_max50

onepowerfullady

My way of relieving stress is to go dancing! It sure puts me right on to sleep!

Yea, I forgot dancing. I love to dance, it is a great stress reliever and a great way to burn calories, make new friends, learn new dances. In other words, get out ouf your comfort zone, or uncomfortable zone and you will be pleasantly surprised.

I like to read a good 900 page book to take me away from reality sometimes. Books like the good earth and the Rose, and a tree grows in brooklyn are good ones. Also you can listen to books on tape, or audio that are like small ipods, they go wherever you go. Go for a walk along the seashore or in the woods. Do something you have never done before like swim fully clothed in an icy cold stream! WoW

• Lake_murray_max50

FydawgRN

I bought a 115 volt wire feed welder, an angle grinder and took up metal working as a hobby; something about the noise and sparks and building small useful objects from angle iron is very de-stressing. Plus it's a great skill set that I can use to connect with some patients. The grand total for all was less than $200.

• Blue_birds_max50

neerukp

Stress Relieving Measures 22 affordable ways is very useful guide for everyone to overcome their stress, it gave tips, I loved it., Thanks for posting

• Blue_birds_max50

neerukp

going to a picnic with loved ones is always good diversion., I always enjoy it., nature will recreate the mind

• Blue_birds_max50

neerukp

engaging ourselves in some project like ironing, cleaning home, gardening will divert our mind in a constructive way

• Blue_birds_max50

neerukp

Its' True, Now I am relieving my stress by listening my favourite classical music and reading the stress reliever in our favourite web site and getting relief from stress., whichever you like like reading, listening, gardening., watching movie you do., you can divert your mind., its' cool., we can refresh sure!!

• Blue_birds_max50

neerukp

Going For a Long Drive, Visiting Beautiful places and Close Persons either relatives or friends whom you will feel relax to talk, seeing the Pictures of beloved Persons, Animals or flowers, whatever you like enjoy with it, watch a Movie, Listen to the Music etc., will help us to keep away our stress., Presently I am doing that only., I am depreessed very much, so I opened my favourite site Nurse Icon and going through the stress releiving measures and posting comment over it.,

lralkhatib

2094 comments

i need to read this article more than once because realy tired,exusted,frustrated and depressed.