Nurse Supervisor Jobs >> Browse Articles >> Scrubs Style

Scrub Styles For Every Body Shape

Scrubs Magazine

January 19, 2010

You spend a lot of time in scrubs, so it makes sense that you want your scrubs to flatter your body type and be fashionable.

We’ve picked seven of the most common body shapes (Full Bust, pear-shaped, full-figured, petite, tall, long-waisted, and athletic) and found scrubs that’ll look great on each.

Now find your shape…and see the scrubs that highlight your best features.

Full Bust | Pear-Shaped | Full-Figured | Petite | Tall | Long-Waisted | Athletic

LindaMattson

I have trouble finding scrub bottoms that are for women with a long waist length. (a long torso) I am 5'6" and 99% of the uniform pants do not fit me. Anyone with the same problem?? What brand of uniform should I try?

favored

Thanks for the advise. What brand is better would also be helpful.

ebunny

I think if your scrubs are clean and fit well your ok in what design you chose to wear. I have some small print tops but i personaly do not like the cartoon prints unless i would be working in peds. But that dosn't mean im against someone that likes to wear them.
    If im hurt or sick i dont care if micky mouse himself helps me.

nmanda

I had a patient the other day and she said "its always nice to see a nurse thats slender and trim" I actually have lost 30lbs now 133lbs. she proceeded by saying" its like hving a fat police officer or secutrity guard the job that they are in they have to keep a certain image" My trick I got thess new high rise pants yeah maybe give me a urkel look but they work wnders

• 023_max50

lefizz

Usually I like the articles but this one is ridiculous!! Nsg is professional NOT a beauty contest... We are at work to treat out patients not dazzle them. I've had every bodily fluid on me (not by choice), so personally I don't care what my scrubs look like as long as I look appropriate. I only wear solids because I can't stand to look like a care bear but to each is own and that what makes the world go 'round. And to bwweeks5270- we need the male point of view, please don't let the negativity stop you!

Joanna85

I like the top but the print isn't my style.

adiegiese

I think everyone's thought matters. Even if we do not agree. Who knows maybe in the future you'll be working for them and they will remember you. Just saying though. I haven't been in the med business that long. :D so don't bite my head off plz.

• 968_ask_an_rn_logo_max50

ners_shanty

huhuhu... wish i could choose my own scrubs.

• Zzzzzzzzzz_max50

RED2000

I have no choice in the matter. I work in ER and all nurses wear navy blue unisex scrubs with three pocket tops and cargo pocket pants. They are furnished by the hospital and washed by the hospital. If they get stained or torn, we just turn them in for a new pair.

• Ginger2__2__max50

trexpup

Well, I prefer the drawstring unisex pants and a 2 pocket unisex top but can deal with one pocket. It is my work uniform, not a fashion contest. I do like looking at other peoples cute scrubs but that's just not me. Also, for those of you that have trouble finding the right fit, look around for someone that sews. A friend of mine is very tall as well as more to love. He has a friend that is a unit clerk who makes him some amazing , well fitting scrubs.

AnnaAZRN

What a shame. I have only been in nursing for 2 years and I am finding more and more that professionalism is being taken away from nursing. No, it does not really matter what your scrubs look like, but as a 5'10, long waisted athletic build it can be difficult to find scrubs that fit comfortably. So it's not necessarily the patterns or colors but the fit. But for professionals to sit and bash one another's comments about scrubs is not only childish, but it just shows why we are treated like servants by patients and doctors instead of professionals we are.

corrina52

I think you all should get over it.Do you really think a dying person cares about what you wear.It's not about the clothes that make you a better nurse no matter what degree you have LPN. RN . It's all about caring and dignity

• Lake_murray_max50

FydawgRN

The challenge as a male nurse that I've always run into has been that when I do find uniform items that are the very least "gender neutral," they are either small size or XXL.

kjb2600

Actually, studies have shown that the way you look and feel about yourself does affect your performance. If you take time to make yourself look presentable and feel good about the way you look, you will perform better. This is why they tell you if you have a test you should not drag yourself out of bed at the last minute and wear your pajamas to class. If you take time to get ready for the day and feel good about how you look, you will feel better about yourself and you will perform better on your test. So, if the scrubs you are wearing fit you well and flatter your body type, you will feel better about yourself, go to work with a better attitude, and perform better while at work.

• Picture_011_max50

kenji1771

Does this really make any difference? We wear what we feel looks best and are done with it. After all, clothes don't get in the way of our performance. I never thought I had to be in style or look cute to get the job done. So there!!