Nurse Supervisor Jobs >> Browse Articles >> Work-Life Balance

15 Things Medical Professionals Should Never Do

Adam Starr | NursingLink

February 01, 2010

No matter how many years of experience you have under your belt, there are certain things medical professionals should never do. Not only are the things on this list pushing the ethical envelope, they could also be damaging to your career.

As a medical professional, the public views you as someone knowledgeable, compassionate and authoritative. You should be proud of your position and continue to uphold this image. So whatever you do, don’t do these 15 things!

First: Don’t Smoke >>

vicmcd

STERILE SCRUBS??? NOT.

• Tinkerbell-wallpaper-tinkerbell-6227161-1024-768_max50

Vericka

I kind of agree with this one "Don't wear your scrubs in public" . I mean when i first started in the medical field i was in school and i loved to wear my scrubs in public to me it makes you look important and it gives you the feeling that your somebody. But when I actually started working I would not go anywhere with out taking a bath first i dont even let my 2 year daughter give me a hug with out changing in to something else first. You dont want to pass anything you probley touched at work from a sick patient =(

KBB86

True as an O.R. nurse I wouldn't wear scrubs in public, but there are many home health and hospice RN's, LVN'S and HHA's that wear scrubs to work and therefore in public.

Lylert

You never hear physicians bad mothing each other. They may change orders or just write new orders but never speek negativily against each other. No one person, nurse, physician knows everything. Physicians are treeted as professionals because they act as professionals. If nurses want the same respect then the backstabbing/bad mothing needs to stop and we need to stand together and educate each other. Only as a group are we strong and only then will we gain respect and be looked upon as professionals and assets and not as liabilities.

Lylert

Scrubs are most certainly not sterile. They are designed to be difficult to stain and easy to clean. Scrubs do represent our perfession and should be worn with pride but the reason we should not wear them is public is to prevent transmitting germs we aquire at work. Such as mrsa, vre mrdo and c dif.

kalianne2000

Totally agree.. I wish everyone could read this article and adhere to it!!

lralkhatib

2094 comments

totally agree and thank you for this article.

heidi001

I hate when I am at a patient's bedside and another nurse will come in and start talking about a co-worker or complain about the hospitol administration, as if the patient is invisible!!

• Screenshot014_max50

leng

totally agree on things mentioned here

moontears71

Thank You! Now if we could get all medical professionals to read this it would be a great service to humanity and the way we do our jobs. So many of these things are happening today. I had the misfortune of being a patient last year and was appalled at the way some of the staff responded to questions and the talking loudly in the hall discussing patients with no regard as to who could hear them. There is alot of immaturaty. So thanks for this article and may we all take a personal inventory of our actions and reactions.

• Img_1510_max50

JenniferS

Thank You for this article it helps a lot! God Bless.

• Img_1510_max50

JenniferS

thank you for the advices. this is good!

dcm1245

FydawgRN,
    I completely relate with your frustration. The hardest part of every job one has in life is typically coworkers, rather than the clients. My biggest pet peeve is employees riding the clock and socializing while there is work to be done. These individuals are unaware of how their behaviors affect every other person in their environment, including the financial bottom line. Furthermore, these types of individuals do not care.

• Lake_murray_max50

FydawgRN

I have to admit, I am challenged by the emotion part. I do get angry and frustrated with fellow staffers when I have a patient that is in the first stages of "going bad," electrolytes out of wack and muscle spasms and EKG changes, and I ask for something like phlebotomy or IV supplies, and they finisdh their conversation about their weekend or upcoming vacation before retrieving (sp?) those supplies; or I can't override a stat drug. Maybe it's my firefighter background. Those times when I feel the frustration boiling, I can often step to the other side of the curtain, tilt my head back and take a deep breath, let it out, go back to the patient's side, give them a smile and say, "I'm going to stay by your side and treat you like I would want someone to treat my: Mom, Dad, Sister, Wife, Son, etc. Selfishly it's as much for me as it is them.

• Makeover_fvvir2ld_thumbnail_max50

LadyT9

I was asking my dad's nurse in a nursing home how he was doing,she said he's good.Then why did he go to the hospital 3 days later.