NursingLink's Hottest Health Employers

NursingLink's Hottest Health Employers

NursingLink

February 13, 2008

While your work isn’t everything in life, it is the place where you invest the biggest chunk of waking hours. If you want to work at a place that is truly satisfying – with the best salaries, benefits and professional standards – then you’ll want to know what the Hottest Health Employers are for nurses.

NursingLink has created this list of the Hottest Health Employers for Nurses to help you find the best companies to work for, coast to coast, using four different standards to evaluate them.

First, we looked at the Fortune 100 Best Companies to Work For list, published Feb. 4, 2008. This list selects the 100 best companies in all industries, based on employee responses to in-depth surveys. Of the 100, 12 employ nurses. Since these are ratings that contain a big chunk of employee input and benefits evaluations, this provides a great baseline on what nurses think of working in these facilities.

We then looked at other key metrics of a good employer – professional excellence. For this, we integrated three other rating systems:

• American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Nursing Magnet facility designation
• U. S. News and World Reports’ Best Hospital ratings (including 16 medical specialties)
• American Hospital Association’s Most Wired Hospitals (the top 100)

Central States Win

For the most part, these top employers are located in the central regions of the country, with three exceptions in coastal areas (Mayo Clinic and Baptist Health in Florida and Scripps Health in San Diego).

The Midwest and the South tied for the highest number of winners. In the Midwest, four winners were located in Kentucky, Minnesota, and in Ohio and four winners were located in the South in Arkansas, Florida, and Georgia.

In the West, Arizona and California had winners while Connecticut and Pennsylvania are home to the winners in the Northeast.

Gold Stars and More

We categorized employers on three lists as Silver Stars and those on two lists as Bronze Stars.

The good news: get a job at one of these institutions and you’ll enjoy state of the art healthcare for you and your family, tuition reimbursement, onsite gyms, and more perks. At least one facility – Baptist Health of So. Fla. – offers a nursing retention bonus.

The bad news: getting a job is highly competitive overall for healthcare jobs. But don’t be dismayed by the overall number of applicants. Nurses are special and are more in demand than many other hospital employees. Of course, it never hurts to have great recommendations or be at the top of your class.

Check the job listings on our job search to get more specifics for the employers that you’re interested in.

• Mee_max50

itskarenprell

can anyone helped me find an employer who can sponsor me to work in california?im from the philippines but hopefully i can go to the USA by next year thru a fiance visa, i wanna make sure that i can land a good paying job as soon as posible. can anyone suggest me whats the best things to do.

• Great_pictures__10__max50

ckruszka

Anyone know of any decent places to work in Houston Tx.? I've been here a year and a half and have yet to find a job I'm happy with.

• 06-05-08_0751_1__max50

frankiecash

Dang wonder what all the perks are? Perks and benefits really have my attention.

• M_a9defda51c00c77067c3b25c1e83b5f3_max50

hjoeljohnson

I am relocating to Chattanooga, TN. I am interested in your help for job placement there at the end of July or beginning of August 2008. I am an experienced Registered Professional Nurse with exceptional background. COntact me at: hjoeljohnson@yahoo.com

flanurseLPN

Being a LPN for 26 years, I have been in geriatric nursing most of these years. Are there any programs out there for LPNS to step up without going back for the RN, I can not afford to go back and get my RN but I would like to do something different, like wound care

• 008_max50

MAMADAWN

very informative....I live near Atlanta and that is a place I would consider working.

you know, I think this article has well run it's course. I would like to see the article about Adrienne Zurub back in the for front.

Nancyn you have to have one year's experience minimum as a practicing RN before any travel company will sign you on. but here is a website I frequent http://www.delphiforums.com once you join and it's free, then look for travel nurses and therapists. There is absolutely an enormous amount of information there which will answer if not all, most of your questions.

NANCYN

I AM CURRENTLY AN LPN GOING BACK FOR MY RN AND I WANT INFO ON TRAVEL NURSING, BONUS SIGN ONS. I'M ALSO INTERESTED IN LOCATIONS AND POSITIONS WITH THE BEST PAYRATE.

• 20130721_155048_max50

Angie_ri78

I love the hospital I work in! They have a good moral on most of the units and great teamwork is what really attracts me to a place. Not to mention they're one of the few hosp. in the area to use all computerized charting. Ahhhhh, no sloppy handwriting.....

minnrn

How about Foundation Travel?

I wouldn't choose either american mobile or cross country, having had a terrible experience with both companies

You might also try American Mobile Healthcare for travel nursing. They're the largest.

kat88

Good article. Wow the pay is quite a bit higher than in Fairbanks AK. Would you-all say the pay is similar to other hospitals in lower 48? No competition up here, but the cost of living is quite a bit higher.

I could give you my list of places to avoid. I loved the Mayo Clinic and Scripps.