Servant's Heart a Requirement for Nursing Career

Servant's Heart a Requirement for Nursing Career

South Bend Tribune

May 12, 2009

Sue Dominiack sees her career more as a calling than a job. A nurse since 2000 at Our Lady of Peace Hospital, located within Saint Joseph Regional Medical Center in South Bend, Dominiack believes the nursing career requires a servant’s heart and a compassion that transcends understanding. Dominiack recently talked with Tribune correspondent Jennifer Ochstein about her work as a nurse in an acute care hospital.

How long have you been a nurse?

I became an LPN (licensed practical nurse) in 1981, and then in 1998 I completed the RN (registered nurse) program, and in 2004 earned the BSN (bachelor of science in nursing) at Bethel College. How did you become interested in being a nurse?

My sister actually talked me into going to nursing school as an LPN. She had been interested in being a nurse all her life and talked me into it. Now, I love it and I’ve continued my education.

What kind of education or experience is needed to become a nurse?

As for experience, you get experience during your nursing program. You have clinical hours. To become a nurse, there are different nursing programs. To be an LPN, it’s an 18- to 24-month program. An associate degree is a two-year program, and a bachelor’s degree is a four-year program. There’s also a master’s in nursing, and there’s also a Ph.D that you can acquire in nursing.

What do you like best about what you do?

I like the contact with people. I like helping someone have a better day. We often see people during the worst time of their lives. But we don’t just focus on the patient, we focus on the family to help people reach a better state of living or become as comfortable as they can in the condition they’re in.

• 1024963740_m_max50

vickielee1970

I think some people may misunderstand that a "servant's heart" means being humble and able to put another's comfort before our own, like Christ who humbled himself by washing his disciples' feet to show them how they should care for one another.

mrsbeck826

Congratulations, Sue Dominiack, and God bless you! You have really helped me figure out some things, when it comes to nursing. I have been doing so much research, and truly believe that nursing is a calling. Some people look at it as a money making career, which is true, but how much more would you gain by helping others. You truly must have the heart of a servant to work as a nurse. At times, we hear stories of neglect, and I think that is widely because people don't have the heart and compassion for people, but they did pass tests. Unfortunately, I know there is no real way to weed these people out, but what's in darkness, must come to light.

God bless you, and best of luck to you in all your endeavors.

bdavis21

I totally agree... every nurse should start out as an aide...

laura59

Good article.

sweetaquariuscocoa

I totally agree with this article. A compassionate heart is the foundation of this entire field.

RN2gradstudent

Well written. Like the author, I have also come up the "nursing ladder" from nurses'aide to RN. At every point in the journey I have been amazed and rewarded for the time spent with patients and their families. It can be a little overwhelming to realize how much influence a nurse can have on another individual. Good job!

• Wiyuna1_max50

wiyuna

i agree totally agree ^^

• Nurse24_max50

pezzy

I agree that we have to have a "servant" heart, a giving empathetic heart. We want to help others.

I am not a servant!!! I am a professional with an excellent education and 33 years of experience. Most everything I agreed with here, but this most emphatically I do not.

• Rn_max50

AbusyRN2go

Agree

Totally agree!

• Cow_picture_max50

mashell4

great article!1

• Dad_stuff_029_max50

Done

Nice snapshot of nursing.