RN Jobs >> Browse Articles >> General Health

Salmonella Outbreak Spreads to 42 States

Salmonella Outbreak Spreads to 42 States

AP

January 07, 2009

ATLANTA – Health officials are investigating a salmonella outbreak that reportedly has sickened nearly 400 people in 42 states, but they do not yet know exactly how the bacteria has been spreading.

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has not named all the states, but Ohio health officials have reported at least 50 people in 18 counties have been sickened by salmonella bacteria since October.

Most people infected with salmonella develop diarrhea, fever and abdominal cramps 12 to 72 hours after infection. The illness usually lasts four to seven days, and most people recover without treatment.

Officials say steps to protect against the illness include careful handling and preparation of raw meat, and frequent hand washing.

© YellowBrix Inc.

• Creek_max50

Jayme

Northstarnurse...E.coli is not salmonella...and E.coli must first be present before it will incubate and grow as with salmonella and any other bacteria.

• P_max50

Northstarnurses

Jayme, you must have worked for a really good BK manager. I have seen across the entired north and south east Burger Kings that heat up burgers in a wraper to serve to customers all hours of the day. Ecoli will form if the burger is not heated to the tempature that is proper.

• 810_max50

saltyscalop

Nice Jayme, You hit the nail on the head. Cleaning your fridge once a week seems a little neurotic.

• Creek_max50

Jayme

If you prepare your meats to proper temperature and practice good hand hygiene you should be fine. I wouldn't reccommend eating undercooked eggs at any time. But as for the Burger King comment... Plllllleeease, they have flame broiled burgers and only use the microwave to melt the cheese. I used to work there when I was a teen and my manager was very strict about expiration times and temperature checks. Being careful about food storage is one thing but carrying things to the extreme is another... but as long as we continue to use anti- this and anti- that we can ensure a long and enduring career in the health field as we create supergerms that mutate and become stronger with each antigenic shift until eventually the only thing left on earth will be the bacteria and virus'. Who needs an immune system?..... we can just use chemotherapy for everything.

tjpennywell

I just had salmonella and Im recovering from it now and the liquid diet is torture i9n the third degree because I love to eat but I bet Ill be more careful next time.

• Img_5017-1rs_max50

fotogrllt

I have never gotten sick eating out or at a fast food joint. I guess I have been lucky. When I was a kid I use to get sick with nausea & vomiting from my moms cooking, so either fast food restaurants handle food more sanitary than my mother did, or I just did not like her cooking.

sunshiyn

basiajune, that is not true. During the salmonella outbreak (St. Paul strain) in the summer of 2008, over 1400 people were confirmed by culture to have the St. Paul Strain, 282 were hospitalized (including myself) and 2 died. Salmonella is not just an upset stomach, or belly ache. It is a full blown infection that can result in severe hypokalemia and colonitis and dehydration.

• Me_work_max50

basiajune

Atleast you can recover from this without treatment. When I got sick it lasted only about 4 days or 5.

• Me_work_max50

basiajune

When I was done reading "Northstarnurses" comment I forgot I was reading a comment and thought I was still readin the article! Thank you Northstarnurse. Your comment was more informational then the article. I think I have had Salmonella last week. When I got home from work my stomach started killing me and I had other symtoms. I think it was the food I ate the day before. Great article keeping us informed!!! Thanks!

• Mickeymouseclubhouse_240_max50

kstiltner1

I thought it had something to do with the eggs. THANKS GOD!!!!

• P_max50

Northstarnurses

I had to comment when I saw the egg on the picture.
    I am so surprised that food handling has not sunk in for the USA
    I do have some hints others may not be aware of though.
    If you buy eggs try to get them fresh from an local farm if you can. If they have not been refridgerated then you can bring them home and put vaseline on each one this closes the poors of the egg shell and they can sit in room tempature for up to 30 days.
    You can also refridgerate them. But if you buy store bought eggs make sure you vaseline them after getting them home used them in a weeks time as well and make sure you check the dates on the carton.
    Ground beef and other meats!
    Never freeze meats without getting wrapping them in freezer wrap. Never put them in the freezer or fridge in the package you bought it in. Best bet is buy your meat in bulk packages its cheaper this way and bring it home clean your sink well wash your hands twice with hot soapy water rinse well then seperate your meats into the amount you need for each meal. Put the mean in individule freezer bags and wash your hands and the outside of the zip lock after closing it.
    Then do the next package the same way. Never leave meet in a refridgerator more than one day cook it with in 24 hours of buying if you do not freeze your meat.
    Mayonaise does not take long to spoil never leave it out.
    Clean your refridgerator once a week with anti bacterial cleaner.
    Left overs are best for the dogs but if you must eat left overs make sure your storing them in the fridge right immediately and make sure your fridge is the right tempature 40 degrees or below and freezers must be 0 degrees or below. Make sure your left overs are heated through and through. Always cook meets untill well done. If you marinate meats this will keep them from being tough. Always marainate in the fridge for no more than one hour.
    All salad dressings should be kept in the fridge never leave them out.
    Fast food resteraunts.......... avoid them if you can!
    My children have had Salmonella they got it from Burger King Kids meals.
    This fast food chain uses already cook hamburgers then heats them in a microwave if the person working there does not fully heat the sandwich your family could get salmonella.
    This goes for any place that uses this method.
    You can contact me any time at cedartree79@aol.com for more information
    If your looking a great nursing candidate, medical technologish or any medical carreer please contact me at 336-644-6300 x 122
    Stay healthy