RN Jobs >> Browse Articles >> Offbeat

'Kidney Stone' Turns Out To Be a Baby

'Kidney Stone' Turns Out To Be a Baby

(Stock Photo)

UPI

January 08, 2009

CARBONEAR, Newfoundland, Jan. 8 – A Newfoundland woman who went to a hospital complaining of kidney pain was shocked when she gave birth to a healthy baby boy soon after.

Juanita Stead, 36, was at a New Year’s Eve party when the pain started and escalated to the point where her husband, Terry, took her to the hospital in the eastern town of Carbonear for X-rays, the Carbonear Compass reported.

“The technician looked at me and said, ‘My dear, you’re pregnant with a full-term baby.’ And I said: ‘No sir, you got the wrong woman and you’re looking at the wrong screen. There is no way I’m pregnant,’” Stead told the newspaper.

She said her menstrual period hadn’t stopped, there wasn’t any morning sickness and she didn’t put on extra weight.

Her other son also made an unexpected arrival on July 30, 2006, at the couple’s home, Stead said. While she knew she was seven months pregnant, she was caught off guard.

“I felt like I had to go to the bathroom and out he popped, right into the toilet,” she said. “Terry actually scooped him out of the toilet and put him in my lap until the ambulance came.”

© YellowBrix Inc.

Up to now I still couldnt believe that they dont know theyre pregnant!!!

• Dsc00261_max50

Sykepleier

That is so weird I couldn't imagine how I would take that kind of news.

• 334194_4082566659164_677343731_o_max50

swimnutt1523

thead+ heard

• 334194_4082566659164_677343731_o_max50

swimnutt1523

I see more and more where this same thing is happening around the world. when I first thead of It I was totally shocked I had seen it on tlc thats how I found out

BSN_2010

As an obese woman and a mother of two, I just cannot believe that there wasn't any signs of a pregnancy. I felt all kinds of movement and you could still tell I was pregnant even with my size.

• Photo-0005_max50

moonlights_rain

This is absolutely possible I had a friend that this happened to... she suddenly started having a laundry list of health problems and went to the doctor who was dumbfounded and while testing for causes of kidney failure they realized she was pregnant (6ft and 200lbs she didn't show at all) now of course she didn't have the baby on the spot but almost. within 2 weeks of finding out she was 7 months pregnant she had a healthy son. I have also seen this happen with smaller women who just don't show, this goes to individuality, pain threshhold, and all of the above... just because you or I had complicated pregnancies doesn't mean that Jane Doe will.

Some one also mentioned "head in the clouds" or ignorance, this can also contribute to this phenomenon, remember the general public isn't as educated about their bodies as they could or should be. Especially not as much as the typical healthcare worker :)

(popped right out in the toilet!!! OMG does she have IBS??? I do find that part hard to believe... but her pain threshhold could be incredibly high... just wow!)

mac60

I always laugh when I read these stories. I simply don't believe them. I saw a special on tv about women who claimed they didn't know they were pregnant. What a joke. Maybe they didn't WANT to be pg, or they just kept turning their head to the idea, possibly thinking "it" may go away. But, I will never believe that a woman can go thru a term pregnancy and NOT know she is pregnant, or that "something" is going on in her body. Some people will do anything to call attention to themselves.

• Halloween_pictures__11_31_2009_027_max50

taisiyiah

GOD BLESS HIM HES BEAUTIFUL..I HOPE THE MOM IS OK AS WELL.WOW

• Me2_max50

jgrace79

Having worked in L&D for several years, there are many reasons for this patient presentation. Perhaps she is overweight and did not notice slight protrusion of the abdomen, perhaps she has a bicornuate uterus which could explain the continued menstruation, or perhaps she just doesn't carry her babies a mile in front of her. Regardless, this baby is no less a miracle than any other.

• Writer_s_market_max50

Jeannie

What do they eat in Newfoundland?

Stories like these always amaze me!
    "Popped out right into the toilet"......................................OMG are you kidding me

midlifecrisis35

Read below the photo: 'Stock Photo' - it's not the actual baby; hence, it's in pink. The same photo was used for the Polish woman who gave birth on the 'Tube'. Real pics and the 'whole story' might give a little authenticity to these 'miracles'. Anyone check the news in Newfoundland for Jan 8th to see if there's a better version of the story?

I went to high school (30 years ago) with a girl who played a Friday night basketball game, went home, began having 'stomach pains', and later delivered a baby boy. She was tall and large-framed, but not obese. Some women are oblivious to their own bodies, or just plain uninformed. I was recently giving advice to a friend of a friend as she was getting ready to undergo a hysterectomy. She asked me 'Does this mean I can't get pregnant anymore?'

On the other hand, I have a friend who 'had a feeling' three days after having sex that she had conceived, and, indeed, she had. Everyone's different.

ivarae

how sweet

charmed

i like that

ddkozi0303

My son used to kick me so hard in the ribs I would double over! I can't imagine this...