RN Jobs >> Browse Articles >> Scandals

Search Abandoned For NJ Baby's Body, Lost in Trash

Search Abandoned For NJ Baby's Body, Lost in Trash

AP

January 09, 2009

JERSEY CITY, N.J. — Police who searched dumps in three states for the remains of a baby thrown out in a Jersey City hospital’s trash gave up Thursday, saying they had little chance of success.

“We have come to the harsh reality that efforts to locate the remains of Bashere Davon Moyd Jr. would be a Herculean undertaking with little probability of a successful conclusion,” Jersey City police Chief Thomas Comey said in a statement posted on the department’s Web site.

Authorities had been looking for the baby’s body since Jan. 2, when it was discovered missing from the morgue at Christ Hospital. The remains apparently were thrown away with the hospital’s trash sometime between Dec. 21 and Jan. 2, police said.

They searched dumps in New Jersey and Pennsylvania before focusing on a landfill in Ashland, Ky., where the waste may have been transferred. On Wednesday, Comey said he feared the waste was sent elsewhere and may have been incinerated.

“The news we have been dreading has unfortunately been confirmed,” said Michael Anise, the lawyer for the baby’s mother, Kalynn Moore. “Everyone involved in this horrific act must be held accountable. Obviously, for Kalynn, life will never be the same.”

Hospital officials and police have declined to say exactly how the baby ended up in the trash.

“The investigation failed to uncover any evidence of criminal conduct, but rather indicated this unfortunate incident was the result of procedural deficiencies and human error,” Comey said.

The baby was delivered Dec. 21. Hospital officials say it was stillborn, but Moore, 26, said her son was born alive with a weak heartbeat and died about 20 minutes later as doctors tried to save him.

Anise has said a lawsuit is likely. Whether the child was stillborn is an important legal distinction because New Jersey law does not recognize stillborn babies as human.

© YellowBrix Inc.

• Speedracer_max50

anonymous37

Nurse Aisha and CD Nurse: No thanks necessary. Let's just uphold the nursing profession as we should, not get defensive or offensive and understand differences should be embraced as we practice 'cultural sensitivity' as the profession dictates. Enuf said. Best wishes to both of you and to all who posted! ~Ciao! (big smile) Sincerely, Susie (Aka anonymous37)

Susie, Very well stated. Thanks for your much needed post

• Bettyboop_max50

nurseaisha

Thank you, anonymous.....

• Speedracer_max50

anonymous37

Some of the comments and opinions in this forum make me very sad. Aren't we supposed to 'advocates' of the family and patient? Please people, I understand that opinions of unborn children is a hot subject, but let us NOT squabble amongst ourselves. You should take pride in the fact that you are (or will be) wonderful 'angels' to help those that need it, to speak for those that cannot or will not. Let's do what nurses are supposed to do and concentrate on helping and caring for those who need it! My heart truly goes out for the grieving family and it's atrocious what happened, but putting energy into negative bickering will not do ANYONE any good in my opinion. I hold no animosity against anyone in this forum and I think as adults we should act it! I'm sure I'll get bashed for this but let's just PLEASE get along! Nursing is a WONDERFUL profession, so let's just honor opinions and agree not to agree on certain things. Part of the wonderful part of being able to live in the US is that it is a melting pot of many different people. We should be a good example and 'be our best' even outside the hospital. OK, I've said my say. I hope that it's taken at face value. I sincerely hope we drop this, because I think enough energy has been expended. Let's also think of those "newbies" out there just joining Ng+Link and the impression it gives them when they see mean things written back and forth. YOU'RE NURSES for goodness sake! It seems that some people are 'assuming' feelings and perceptions and you know what they say about THAT word! Yikes!

You are a very sad person. I hope you find peace soon.

• Bettyboop_max50

nurseaisha

Like I said previously...I hope you find peace soon...

callbellcboy and smiles: I do not understand it myself. My heart breaks for this poor mom. My heart is broken also by the mean words directed at me.

CDNURSE: I am at a loss for words ... why would anyone stand on the bed of a grieving mother and wave the corpse of her baby as a battle flag for their own fight? This makes me sick in my heart ... Why are these people nurses? They say things that are so ignorant and insensitive, then when someone takes exception to that, they brush it off as a personal attack on them from a hormonal female (their perception, not mine) Personal attack? Do they read what they post and not see how personal THAT is? I have sat with grieving mothers that have suffered misacrriages, and it is the most painful part of being a nurse. Why would anyone use that as their soapbox? CDNURSE, cruel and insensitive sum it up.

• P1010123_max50

smiles62

I agree with cdnurse. The grief of a woman can not be described unless you have worn her shoes. I know her pain. My stillborn was a girl ,weighing less than a pound. To top this by not having the body for a proper funeral was not my case. I can't even imagine how devasting this must be. It doesn't matter who considers this a human or not. This is a LOSS suffered by the survivors! My heart hurts for them.

I in no way see this as a personal attack. Rather, I am feeling the pain of this mother who has no closure. I am finding the using of this forum to state your feelings on abortion to be insensitive and crude. I would expect someone who has lost a child to have a little more compassion for this woman's story than to use her for your soap box

• Demetrice_029

cuttie

What is the matter with that state. Any baby that is born full term is human, even when it is growing inside you, it is still a human cell. So, does it matter, if it is stillborn, that baby belonged to its parents. Cd is siding with the parents, that is detromental to lose a child, especially, when you trust the healthcare profession to do the right thing, that babies mother needed time to grieve her lose. I can understand the Cd's pain about this article. She has the right to grieve for them.

• Bettyboop_max50

nurseaisha

cd, I'm sorry you have so much pain and anger in your heart that you have to turn this into a personal attack...you are the only person posting who seems to take this so personally. I've lost two children myself, this is why I said you should not assume you are the only one posting who has suffered a loss. I hope you find peace soon....

sereneintexas

I just can't wrap my mind around this story. I've not worked with babies, but in my twenty four plus years as a nurse I just can't see this happening. Oh, I believe the story alright, I just can't possibly see how it could be allowed to happen.

nurseaisha: First you need to know what the definition of ignorant is. Look it up for clarification. 2nd: I know better than you how many on here have lost children. That is why I referred the two of you to the group for parents who have lost children. You are cruel and insensitive. Period.

katiesuern

I think an unborn child should be considered a human being from the day of its first heart beat while in gestation, but that is my personal opinion. However, the difference between this situation and an aborted fetus is this: the baby grew inside its mother, the mother bonded with the baby, the mother loved the baby, the mother wanted the baby. The hospital should have a policy in place for them to ask the mother if she wanted the baby's body.