RN Jobs >> Browse Articles >> Politics / Government

What Does the Stimulus Package Mean for Nurses?

What Does the Stimulus Package Mean for Nurses?

Where is all the money going? Where will new jobs be created for nurses?

February 04, 2009

Last year, America lost 2.6 million jobs. On Monday alone, we learned that some of our biggest employers plan to cut another 55,000. This is a wakeup call to Washington that the American people need us to act and act immediately. – President Obama in response to the House’s vote of 244 to 188 for the proposed stimulus

As Americans, we all will be affected by Obama’s newly proposed stimulus package. Funds will be poured into a myriad of places – over $800 billion used for projects from D.C. to California. But into which areas and industries is this incredible amount of money going? Furthermore, how will these changes affect the healthcare sector, specifically nursing?

Obama’s economic growth bill was approved by the House of Representatives and is now waiting for approval from the Senate. (The Senate’s version of the bill has some key differences, which are noted throughout this report.) Despite personal beliefs as to if you support the bill, there is no denying this package will inevitably affect the economy and all of our lives.

By collecting the hard facts from the proposed stimulus plan, you can hypothesize and critically analyze where the most growth will be spurred. Let the facts guide your job-search or inform you more about your nursing career.

Page 1: Introduction

Page 2: Tax Credits for Employed and Unemployment Benefits

Page 3: The Stimulus Package and Healthcare

Page 4: The Stimulus Package and Nurses

royallibaster

For anyone to think the democratically controlled congress had nothing to do with George W. Bush years, you are blind. Barney Frank and Chris Dodd should have their pictures on the bulletin board in the FBI most wanted in the Post Office.

dee7dee7

You can bet our rights are being nipped away. It will be slow,--- most won't notice until it is too late!
    We have cabinet members who can't pay their taxes even with an accountant........and>>>>He's in charge of the .....money----that would be much more humorous if it wasn't our money!!!!
    The Freedom of Information Act is next --that focuses on radio only-- which the Christian Conservatives dominate. This would require the station to pay for another viewpoint, ie. If a preacher was speaking about the BIble quoting verses on homosexuality instead of speaking for 30 min it would be 15 to the preacher and 15 to a different view!!!! Now mind you many of these stations are viewer supported. I would never give money so someone could talk about ideas that are against my morals--that is why I can turn the dial/skip the station.-----Anyway the bill that WOULD protect the 1st Amendment rights of all is the Broadcast Freedom Act.---remember that -it will come!!!! The Freedom of Information Act (NO-) sounds good BUT if it sounds too good to be true_____it is!!!
    I am very concerned about the move to all electronic medical records. How many times in just the past year have there been security breaches in credit cards, insurance co's etc. I was a foster parent and DCF lost an entire CD of personal info

cterri1963

I believe this going to help those who do not want to work and make those of us who do pay for it.

carieanne

Jansbis, I am with you 100% The people voted for more government control. With each item you give goverrnment control over you give up one right. The stimulus package is nothing but paying back Obama's 'supporters'. Many items have such restrictions on them that they are taking away our right to free speech. Read the package carefully friends. If it does not anger you then you are not reading it close enough. Obama is just parrating what his supporters are whispering in his ear and it is our children and grandchildren who are going to be stuck fixing this mess and paying the high price for it. Clinton sent our jobs overseas with NAFDA and then relaxed banking regulations. In esence we did not have the jobs so we live on credit. These are the decisions that got us in this mess to begin with it took all this time to snowball. Obama does not have a clue.

• Jan2009_077_max50

ivyzweb

I've been an LPN for years & finally got it together & got my RN & now I can't find a job anywhere. Before, I decided to advance my career, I actually had a career that paid real money. Now all I have is some nice new letters after my name. I hope Obama has some plan to lift the hiring freeze across northeast Ohio???

DorothyL

I want to see some action - tired of the talk. The agenda is up on this site:

Yankeegirl

I have been a LPN for over 6yrs, I have struggled to put myself through school. Now I am faced with unemployment, the RN's are in demand. what do I do now, rack up some more student loans to go back to school? I think they should help with career advancement for the ones that have put in their time..

disablednurse123

I am a nurse who works at a local hospital in my town. I was recently on a lite duty job because I hurt my back. I am awaiting surgery. While on the lite duty job I hurt my upper back lifting charts and using a vibrating office machine. My employer is denying my workers comp claim and ended my lite duty job. I wonder if Obama stimulus package will help health care workers with workers comp claims or help grant us rights on the job. This hospital is not interested in me getting well they forced me to take short term disability which is 12 weeks of no money and got there lawyers and drs to say i wasnt hurt on the job. What about workers rights when they are thrown over because they dont want there workers comp to go up. They dont help inured employees. I hope the stimulus package will address disabled nurses and if there employer doesnt help them or keep there jobs for them while they get well.

nursestudent1

JustanurseinCO

I say ditto

nursestudent1

I think the the stimulus package addresses several pressing issues. Being a 20 year financial major I also believe I am able to jugdge, and being that I have opened my eyes as requested I can clearly see the benefits of this plan. If the white house, is looking to address all these issues now the judgement of this must have came from somewhere, prehaps these funds was there all along, and she have been address piece by piece and was not so now things are being address now. When I look through the bill what I notice is that this package addresses needs of the low income and middle class income. It is about time!.

JustanurseinCO

Our Great grandkids are going to be paying the trillions of dollars of debt, that mr bush ran up during his tenure. Somthing has to be done about this huge mess, I for one say, give our president a chance. Anything has to be better than the last 8 years have been.

jansbis

Does anyone know what the word stimulus actually means? We need something now and that's not what is happening. Don't you know that with this kind of spending we are in the hopper for decades? Our great great grandkids will still be trying to pay all this off. Our taxes will soar to a place you have never seen before. And tell me when did the citizens of the USA start to give, yes give money to private enterprize? Are you all for socialism? I pray this so called stimulas package fails and then those fools we voted in do their jobs and start over with reasonable expectations. By the way, I heard Obama speak a few days ago and he said he was going to get rid of the pork in the bill but the next day he spoke again and said he really didn't see any pork in the bill at all. So, which Obama should we believe? Just take a good look at the bill yourself and you will and your eyes will open. JB in NJ