RN Jobs >> Browse Articles >> Offbeat

Calif. Octuplets' Mom's Veil of Secrecy Vanishes

Calif. Octuplets' Mom's Veil of Secrecy Vanishes

This image provided by NBC shows Nadya Suleman, left, speaking with Ann Curry in New York on Thursday, Feb. 5, 2009. (AP Photo/NBC, Paul Drinkwater)

John Rogers / AP

February 05, 2009

WHITTIER, Calif. – The veil of secrecy octuplets’ mother Nadya Suleman shrouded herself in for more than a week was lifted Thursday with the release of public documents showing that the 33-year-old struggled with depression for years until she finally began to realize her childhood dream of having a huge family.

Suleman, who now has 14 children, told doctors she battled with depression for years after she was injured in a riot in 1999 at the state mental hospital where she worked.

The doctors’ reports were included in more than 300 pages of documents released to The Associated Press by the state Division of Workers’ Compensation on the same day NBC released excerpts of Suleman’s first interview since giving birth last month. Among other things, the documents reveal that Suleman collected more than $165,000 in disability payments between 2002 and 2008 for an injury she said left her in near-constant pain and helped end her marriage.

Meanwhile, Suleman told NBC what her mother and others have said since the octuplets were born: that she always wanted a huge family to make up for the isolation she felt as an only child.

“That was always a dream of mine, to have a large family, a huge family,” she said. “I just longed for certain connections and attachments with another person that … I really lacked, I believe, growing up.”

In the interview — scheduled to air on the “Today” show Monday and again Tuesday on “Dateline” — Suleman calls her childhood “pretty dysfunctional.”

In the state report, however, doctors indicate she had a happy childhood. She told them she was an above-average high school student, enjoyed being a cheerleader, had many friends and stayed out of trouble. She said her parents were loving and supportive.

As an adult, however, she said she often battled depression as she struggled to get pregnant and particularly after her injury.

In the report, Suleman told a doctor she had three miscarriages. Another doctor disputed that number, saying she had two ectopic pregnancies, a dangerous condition in which a fertilized egg implants somewhere other than in the uterus. She told NBC she struggled for seven years before finally giving birth to her first child in 2001 through in vitro fertilization.

emelikesandra

am soory for her

• Dsc00261_max50

Sykepleier

I think that everyone should allow the people around this lady to judge whether or not she is ok to have so many children. Most anyone who talks about her doesn't know her personally and no one can really know the whole story. It's not fair to judge her, things can seem one way on the out side and completely opposite from the inside. Maybe these children will grow up poor but if they are loved and have each other for help, there is no greater need than that. And I think it's wrong to not help someone in need, regardless of what's happened, you should think of those children and help them, not the mom but them. Plenty of people won't help because they think what she did is wrong, but think not about that but about the kids, and remember that you shouldn't judge someone unless you your self are perpared to have others judge you, are you?

• Demetrice_029

cuttie

I do care about these babies, thats why I am so concerned about the mental condition of there mother. I am afraid for them. She was offered helped by a nonprofit organization, which provided housing, aroung the clock nursing care for the children, and therapy for the mother. She declined to this offer but instead, she wanted to collect monies on her own. I think she has a agenda, instead of wanting to be a good mother, look at the evidence, she wanting to raise 14 kids on student loans, without a husband support, having her parents use their own retirement monies to help her, and her children, getting welfare, and having not worked since 1999, now it is 10 years later, shouldn't she be well rehabilitated, and ready to go back to work. . Why in Gods name will she have children, and is suffering from depression, and severe pain.

• Img012_max50

gdhipp

Ther needs to be am more in depth process before a doctor does infetro. Can the pt pay ON THEIR OWN if all the embryos are viable and full mental assessment. I can't beleive that this women is expecting for us, as tax payers, to pay for this. The doctor that did this needs to be fully investigated. The fact that this women has a website asking for donations is irritating. She has not worked since 1999 and receives alot of money from the state that she then uses for invetro. She hurt herself at work and was suppose to be in uncontrollable pain but yet can carry 8 kids. WHATEVER! I had a hard enough time carring one at times. There are alot of things wrong with this picture and the fact that she trying to make more money by selling her story is unreal. What is sad that the people will be buy it, watch it, and read it. She needs to be evaluated for just being ignorant. The sad this is ultimately the kids. They are in the middle of this whole mess. They are the ones that are going to suffer. I pray for the kids!

• Qw_max50

Esmeralda22pr

She might have mental problems, but right now the most important thing is the welfare of the babies. These precious babies are not the culprits, they are completely innocent and we should help them.

• Demetrice_029

cuttie

I know, She mentions wanting to go back to school, when she had the last InVitro fertilization inplanted, she said that she only wanted one child planted inside her, because they were all her embroys, mind you she had 40 embroys, so you can do the math, even is they implanted half that amount of embroys in her, which I think they did, the possiblity of you having twins or triplets were possible, because she was fertile. Nadea, said the pregnacy didn't go the way she thought it suppose to have went, what do you expect, you and that doctor was playing mad science, and you want the world to feel sorry for you, and help pay for your mistake, you could of avoided, when in the first place, you needed to finish up your PHD in counseling, make some money, buy you a house, and hopefully save up money for college for the six children she already has. The only help I will provide now, is psychological help, that's what american needs to provide for her, not financial help, if you help her financially , you are feeding into her psychosis.

• 042_max50

POC

This lady wants "to eventually earn a Ph.D. in some field involving counseling."
    Can you get that with "frequent flyer" miles? Cause she needs some MAJOR counseling herself!

• Demetrice_029

cuttie

I can't understand, if you struggle with severe chronic pain, why would you have children. When I injured my shoulder at work, I wasn't interesting in having more children, I wanted to get back to work, and finish my career. You get your self back healthy first, this includes physically and mentally, she did the opposite. She is mentally unstable. I hope the world know this.

laura_m

This lady needs to find another way to stave off depression besides having more children...enough is enough.

This lady is crazy and it makes me irritated that I am even interested enough to read this!!!

No one says just because you are "educated" and have degrees has to mean you are smart. I feel sorry for this woman. She's gone off the deep end.

jgoodeliunas

im confused. So she hasn't worked since 1999. She managed to get a couple hundred thousand dollars for invitro (from a friend). She dropped out of college.

What has she been living on since 1999?
    How did she get the money for invitro? Or did her friend do it the old fashion way while she took fertile Mertle pills
    And why didn't she wait till she finished school?

Either way there is now way for her to support herself on Student loans. Especially since she dropped out of school...hmmm. So, who is helping her.....anyone want to give it a guess? (SS)

This woman is a NUT JOB!

Melaniefol

I agree with some of what wife of nurse has said, I don't see a reason she would be a failure but I know this will be a very hard challange. I think she should have saved the invitro money for college and the children she has. I think she wasn't using common sense, it would have been easier to have more support with a partner/spouse and her mother. It may be in her best interest and her children to give the babies up for adoption there are so many people without a child and for her to have 14 isn't fair to the children, they wouldn't get the attention they need. I don't see her keeping all her children and being happy, or the people that have to pay for her and her children when she had spent what.. $200,000 in invitro fertilization? Also, slap on the doctor's wrist who implanted the 8 embyos!

Wife_Of_Nurse

How does everyone seem to know she is going to be a failure? I have not heard a whole lot on this story, but i dont think i have ever heard where she was a bad mom with her other/older children. She wants to sell her story? get 2 million? so what?! Good for her, in wanting to tell people, making money. And how on earth does anyone know she does not love her children and will not provide a loving home for them? So what if she makes 2 million and buys a really nice home, nice things for her children, good live in nanny? Shame on people for wishing ill on this family! I would read a book, or watch a show/movie about this, way better then some of the other crud out there to read about or watch! I, myself , dont think i would have that many babies at once, but thats me, i cant judge someone else if they choose to. If you are saying that 1 person can not take care of that many children at once, or love them all, then you are saying nurses, teachers, daycare workers and such cant do a good job either! I use to spend summers and vacations with a family that had 10 kids (they now have 12) and it was fun! none of them neglected or anything, true they werent all the same age, LOL, ages were staggered by abt 2 yrs apart. I pray financial, health blessings and peace on this family. Wish i could access the website and see the pics of the babies. :-(