RN Jobs >> Browse Articles >> Scandals

Octuplet Fertility Doctor Under Investigation

Octuplet Fertility Doctor Under Investigation

This image provided by NBC shows Nadya Suleman, left, speaking with Ann Curry in New York on Thursday, Feb. 5, 2009.

Shaya Tayefe Mohajer / AP

February 08, 2009

LOS ANGELES – The spotlight on the mother of octuplets is turning to the fertility doctor who helped her give birth not once but 14 times by implanting Nadya Suleman with fertilized embryos.

The Medical Board of California investigating the doctor — whom it did not name — to see if there was a “violation of the standard of care,” board spokeswoman Candis Cohen said Friday.

She did not elaborate.

Suleman, 33, of Whittier, already had six children when she gave birth Jan. 26 to octuplets. The births to an unemployed, divorced single mother prompted angry questions about how she plans to provide for her children.

But the backlash seems to have extended as well to Suleman’s doctor.

In a portion of an NBC interview, broadcast Friday, Suleman said she had six embryos implanted for each of her in vitro pregnancies, using the same sperm donor and fertility specialist.

In the case of the octuplets, the procedure resulted in six boys and two girls, including two sets of twins.

“The revelation about one center treating her makes the treatment even harder to understand,” said Arthur Caplan, bioethics chairman at the University of Pennsylvania. “They went ahead when she had six kids, knowing that she was a single mom … and put embryos into her anyway.”

In the United States, there is no law dictating the number of embryos that can be placed in a mother’s womb. Multiple embroys can be implanted to improve the odds that one will take.

I think that a serious investigation needs to take place and he needs to be stop him from doing any other procedures until the investigation is finalized.

• Austinnurse12a_max50

AustinNurse12

I'm glad the spotlight is turning toward him. He deserves to lose his license.

greentea12

You are posting the following comment in response to the article "Calif. Octuplets' Mom's Veil of Secrecy Vanishes": ""There's so many things to comment on this case. Where should I begin. First of all this woman will not cash in on any book deals or television shows if we as consumers refuse to contribute to this fiasco! Infertility is defined as the inability to conceive children after one year of trying. This woman was never infertile. Going through infertility myself, I beleive the entire fertility industry should be scrutinized. This doctor agreed to perform this procedure on a already fertile woman to boost his clinic and make his success rates look better. I bet your bottom dollar. When an infertile couple seeks treatment, the odds of them conceiving is quite miniscule (you'll probably have better odds hitting lotto or getting struck by lightning). Those that do conceive usually miscarriage. Sucessful treatment usually occur with those who have previously given birth. Doctors never advertise this. I complained about a fertility clinic and was dismissed as a patient the day after close to seven thousand dollars was delivered to my home. (This was paid out of my pocket).The clinic refuses to reimburse me, I was callously told to sell the medication on EBAY. If any one out there can assist me with this matter I will truly appreciate this. email me at deealien2000@yahoo.com ""

Insane

He should be looked at. Long and hard. He is an idiot.

• Picture_021_max50

angienwgeorgia

I think this was so irresponsible. I hope the MD gets a huge investigation and is found irresponsible.