RN Jobs >> Browse Articles >> Labor, Unions

New Nurses' Union Would Be Nation's Largest

New Nurses' Union Would Be Nation's Largest

AP

February 19, 2009

WASHINGTON — Three unions that together represent about 150,000 registered nurses said Wednesday they are forming a new organization that would be the nation’s largest nurses’ union.

The agreement combines the California Nurses Association/National Nurses Organizing Committee, United American Nurses and Massachusetts Nurses Association into a single entity that will be more active in the debate over health care reform.

The new union — to be called the United American Nurses-National Nurses Organizing Committee — will focus on improving standards for nurses and patients and devote more resources to increasing membership, said Rose Anne DeMoro, CNA’s executive director.

CNA is the country’s largest nurses’ union, with about 85,000 members nationwide.

© YellowBrix 2009

1949nyc

this is great, how do you join this union, its needed here in the state of florida,specially in polk county.

asrn_14

I am a nurse in Henry County Georgia, we are in serious need of a Nurses union. How do you contact the union to have them recruit for a union in georgia?

laphroaig77

I have been a member of a nurses union in the UK. I was dissapointed by the action of other members who used the union as protection for their poor work performance. I vowed to never join a union again. Now I work in Florida and have had to reconsider this stance. I believe a big part of the problem is caused by the Insurance companies. Hospitals are held hostage by making up the short fall between what it costs to care for the patient and what the insurance will provide. Until we have a government program for health care we are stuck. I now am prepared to join a union that fights for this. I deplore the lazy folk that see the union as a haven for their inadeqate care and bad attitudes. I have seen what can be accomplished when JACHO demands change, no body backs down because of cost, the money is there and changes are made. If we do get government health I hope they pay for doctors and nurses education so we are not saddled with debt. I also hope we can realise that death is part of life and not waste resources on proceedures that line the pockets of certain medical providers and offer no benifit for the patient. I support the UANNNOC, with some reservation.

ojackieo69

No unions in Texas thank you!

otavia

We need a Union in Georgia

• Johnny_in_er_max50

txsjohnny

I feel ALL nurses regardless of what state they are in should be able to belong to & participate in a union without fear of retribution from an employer or the state. Also, state certifications should give way to a standardized international or national boards.

JoRN

So unfortunate that we have to do this, but at the same time...no one listens unless you make a big stink as a big group.

• 160_max50

hospicejohn

strength in numbers, and what better way to have our voices heard than through 1 strong voice in staed of many.

• Img012_max50

gdhipp

I agree totally with you apilet18.

dogtree: it will come there. Get busy and stir it up

• 810_max50

saltyscalop

Nice name. The UANNNOC. That's catchy.

apilet18

We talk and talk and talk about it, but no one has ever acted on this. I'm all for it. It's about time we stand up for ourselves and not allow ourselves to be overworked and under paid. let's not forget disrespected!!! We as nurses need someone or something to fall back on when management is not effective enough

Good article. Does anyone know or think Mississippi and other States will have Nursing Unions in future? And what are your thoughts on the Subject?