RN Jobs >> Browse Articles >> Offbeat

Woman With 2 Wombs Delivers Twins

Woman With 2 Wombs Delivers Twins

Shane and Sarah Reinfelder hold newborn twins Valerie Marie and Kaylin Joy, who were born from two separate uteri at Marquette General Hospital in Marquette, Mich. (By Johanna Boyle, The Mining Journal via AP)

AP

February 28, 2009

MARQUETTE, Michigan — A Michigan woman with two wombs has given birth to twin daughters — one from each uterus.

Twenty-one-year-old Sarah Reinfelder’s babies were delivered seven weeks premature Thursday by Caesarean section at Marquette General Hospital in the Upper Peninsula, The Mining Journal and WLUC-TV reported.

“I’m so excited,” Reinfelder said after the twins were born. “I couldn’t sleep at all. … I was just thinking about the girls and how I was so happy they were healthy because nobody really knew what to expect.”

Doctors said Kaylin Joy and Valerie Marie were healthy, and they and their mother were doing fine. Kaylin, who was delivered first, weighed 3 pounds, 15 ounces, and Valerie weighed 4 pounds, 15 ounces.

“It’s phenomenal for us to have nice healthy babies,” said Dr. Connie Hedmark, one of the physicians involved in the delivery. She and Dr. Breanna Pond performed two Caesarean sections for the births.

Reinfelder has a condition that is known as uterus didelphys, and doctors said such twin births are rare. The uteri are different sizes, with Valerie, the larger twin, born from the larger uterus.

The twins have similar risks as other premature babies, said neonatologist Julie Frei. She expects the twins, who don’t have fully developed lung function, likely will be hospitalized for three or four weeks.

Reinfelder, along with her husband Shane and 10-month-old son William, are originally from Sault Ste. Marie. They had been living in Marquette for about two months to be close to the hospital.

© YellowBrix 2009

• Summa07_308_max50

secquoria

miracles....

austincantwells

I have been a L& D nurse for over 15 yrs and have never seen it go to term. This is amazing and I praise the doctors that delivered they babies

syndy005

i have heard about a woman with two wombs in Safehand hospital in Nigeria but i've not seen with twins,wow it wonderful.

leaha

I work in L&D and have never experienced that situation that's so kool

• Picture_945_max50

scorpio80kg

wow I you learn something new everyday

Emmatol

Strange and interetingly amazing
    It's indeed the Lord's doing..........marvelous it is in our sights!

• 334194_4082566659164_677343731_o_max50

swimnutt1523

wow thats crazy

• Printed_on_3_10_2009-24_max50

faerynurse

Its amazing she made it that far. A woman I used to work with couldnt make it that far with one baby, but all are healthy. Congrats to everyone.

• Dscn0723_max50

jane_0126

this is amazing!

marfel

this is a living testimony,because of the mothers medical condition.we'r with them in prayers.

• 199_max50

kjagnew1

Wow! I have never heard of such a thing before. Its kind of amazing. I definately hope those babies make it and the family will be alright. I do wonder if the mom will face any future complications as she gets older from having this condition.

• Panama-wildlife-11_max50

panamagrama

My first C-section in nursing school was a bicornis; the fundus was divided into two parts. One side held a beauty of a little girl and the other side was the wartiest looking thing I had ever seen. She had fibroids on the opposing side.
    Saddest thing was the mother was angry because it was a Friday and she had planned a C-section for the following Monday. Labor had ruined her weekend.

sweetrose918

As for the comments about whether they would be considered twins.. of course they are. They are just fraternal twins, not identical twins, just as if they were a boy and girl instead of two girls.

As for having 2 sets of eggs and 2 cycles, I asked the docs. They said that usually each "horn" had 1 of the ovaries, so there wouldn't be 2 sets. And there would be only 1 cycle total because those are determined by a variety of hormones, that start in the brain, rather than just controled by the number of uteri we have. There are many mammals that have bi-horned uteri, cats in particular, and from the number of those around, I don't see them having any difficulty getting pregnant and having babies.. :-)

sweetrose918

The clinical practice site I was at this summer actually has/had 2 patients, both of whom were pregnat with twins and had bi-horned uteri (uterus didelphys). One of the patients already had a set of twins! The docs at the site said that while the condition is rare, when you have a very large practice, you tend to see the more rare occurances. I think I was very priviledged to be at that clincail site this past summer.

youdonthearme

Wow! And I thought having my twins was something! What a miracle! Congrats to the family!