RN Jobs >> Browse Articles >> Politics / Government

Obama to Rescind Bush Abortion Rule

Obama to Rescind Bush Abortion Rule

Doctor Sergio Munoz, who is also spokesperson for an association of Spanish abortion clinics speaks during an interview with the Associated Press in an abortion clinic, in Madrid, Thursday Feb. 19, 2009. (AP Photo/Paul White)

Ricardo Alonso-Zaldivar / AP

March 01, 2009

WASHINGTON – The Obama administration is moving to rescind a federal rule that reinforced protections for medical providers who refuse to perform abortions or other procedures on moral grounds, an official said Friday.

A Health and Human Services official said the administration will publish notice of its intentions early next week, and open a 30-day comment period for advocates, medical groups and the public. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because the official notice has not been completed.

The Bush administration instituted the rule in its last days, and it was quickly challenged in federal court by several states and medical organizations. As a candidate, President Barack Obama criticized the regulation and campaign aides promised that if elected, he would review it.

Abortion opponents hailed the Bush regulation, saying it clarified federal policies and raised awareness about the rights of medical providers to follow their consciences. But abortion rights advocates said it could reduce access to other services — allowing a drug store clerk to refuse to sell birth control pills, for example.

Federal law has long forbidden discrimination against health care professionals who refuse to perform abortions or provide referrals for them. The Bush administration’s rule requires institutions that get federal funding to certify their compliance with laws protecting conscience rights. It was intended to block the flow of federal funds to hospitals and other institutions that ignore the rights of religious and moral objectors.

• Bettyboop_max50

nurseaisha

I am so happy to see so many other pro life nurses on NL. We definitely CAN make signifcant changes if we stand firm in our convictions against the murder of the unborn!!!!

nursing99

P.S. If you DON'T WANT to have a baby then DON'T have unprotected sex !! Helllloooooo. why should any innocent child die because it's an "inconvience because of your own stupidity!" THis country was founded own God fearing MORAL men. What the hell have we allowed to happen.??? Freedom of CHOICE MY ASS. Has anyone read the original constitution lately? OOOH it just upsets me so much. Last time I checked it was "WE the People" NOT the few derelects that want to just have uncle sam take care of everything. WE are the suppose to be the government. I think i have said enough. Come on nurses. We can change the world if we try.

nursing99

WAKE UP AMERICA !! maybe now people can start seeing him for the REAL wolf in sheeps clothing that he is with his own agenda !!! HE is DANGEREOUS and didn't get my vote either but I think ANY one with 1/2 a brain could see that but it was the ones who want everything given to them that voted. ANYway. Three of my four daughters are either in school or have theri BSN and NONE of them would want any part of this!!! What happened to OUR rights ???? How do we be proactive in stopping this maddness. I'd certainly be on board. Be safe.

sbergb01

I am a nursing student with one more year to go to become a RN. I am extremely disgusted with Obama and his stand on abortion, which is why he did not receive my vote for president! I am going to nursing school because I want to help people, not because i want to kill innocent newborn babies! Everyone deserves a chance at life, they didn't ask to be conceived. We have several types of birth control in this country-why can't people use it? Obama is a cruel and heartless person, and by trying to force nurses to assist in abortions, he is only going to add to the already enormous nursing shortage in this country. If women insist on having an abortion, why not go to an abortion clinic? What about nurse's rights to chose if they want to assist? Obams's approach is communistic. I will NEVER assist in an abortion, even if I have to get out of the profession, or work in a nursing home, but I should not be forced to make that decision! He yells freedom of choice, but the only choices he wants to give people, are those which reflects his twisted moral values!! Gos bless all the unborn children..

RRTinNC

If someone chooses to have an AB, that's their decision,however, I am prolife and choose not to care for abortion patients. I have a BSN and have been nursing for 30+ years. Don't I have any rights???
    RRT in NC

smschaflePHN

Obama sucks! I hate it when headlines read "Nurses Support Obama." Wait a minute...I would like to know what percent of nurses support Obama. I don't, won't and never will as long as he is a socialist.

• Bettyboop_max50

nurseaisha

Obam, Obama, Obama....man am I tired of hearing that name connected with the advocacy of killing unborn babies. I wonder why this man is so hell bent on making genocide a "choice", a "woman's right". To force a medical professional to take part in an action which they deem to be immoral, unethical, unbiblical, is seriously taking away a person's choice, and choice is part of the platform which got him elected. This man is so full of hypocracies it's sickening. How can you demand choice while at the same time taking it away? This seriously makes me reconsider my choice of entering the nursing profession. I refuse to take part in the murder of future generations.

• Pediatric_nursing_pic_max50

nursekate_85

If this move on the Obama administration sounds unethical, wait until he tries to fulfill his promise to enact FOCA (freedom of choice act). This legislation would make provision to shut down faith-based facilities for deciding not to perform abortions. Sounds like anything but "freedom of choice!"

mgf

Abortion is usually never necessary unless it is a case of a tubal pregnancy. It is usually never the case to destroy one life to preserve the other. Who needs artificial birth control when one can space children with Natural Family Planning that is over 98% accurate natural, safe and healthy. Furthermore, i heard developments have been done to preserve life with a tubal pregnancy, this administration is making it seem abortion is necessary for "just-in-case we need-it " cases when in fact 50 million have already died in this battle of choice, not because it was necesary to spare the mother's life. Lets get real people!

sawxgirl

so obama is going to attempt to overturn this and decrease employement even furthur?individuals in the healthcare profession that have strong moral values WILL quit their jobs rather than partaking in something they believe to be immoral. catholic hospitals WILL shut down, as the bishops have already warned the obama administration. that would be a wonderful step toward rebuilding the economic crisis, wouldnt it ????

• 100_1845_sq90_max50

jessbarnes84

MMMM 50/50 on this! Life does start at conception, but I do understand when abortion needs to be done b/c of medical complications. I also go 50/50 w/Birth control, Nuva ring, Shot etc. All of that junk is not good for a Woman’s Body. It can really affect Fertility later in Life, Bone Loss, Back humps, Hormone unbalance etc. People should just use condoms or the Natural Family Bead Method. Oh course this is just My Personal opinion.