RN Jobs >> Browse Articles >> Politics / Government

Obama: Nurses Play Critical Role in US Healthcare

Obama: Nurses Play Critical Role in US Healthcare

AP

March 26, 2009

WASHINGTON – President Barack Obama has thrown a bouquet at the nurses of America.

Hosting the first-ever virtual Town Hall at the White House, Obama called nurses the backbone of the country’s health care system and suggested they are unappreciated.

He said that at a time when his daughter Sasha had a serious medical issue, nurses rather than physicians were doing the bulk of the work at the hospital. Obama said: “It was the nurses who were there when she had to get a spinal tap and all the things that were bringing me to tears.”

He said nurses must play a key role in setting the country’s emerging health policy and said there actually is a shortage of nurses at a time when the country is experiencing rising joblessness.

© YellowBrix 2009

LeighLeigh007

I owe 30,000 in student loans. I had 6 mos. left to complete my RN, but then I had a heart attack at age 42 along with a triple bypass. I decided after 1 year of recovery, that I shold not go back to finish my degree, I simply didn't have the energy or stamina required to be a Nurse.. I went to school and am now a Registered Medical Assistant. I was making 14 an hour but lost my job after 16 mos. Does anyone know of a student loan forgiveness plan? I should be making somewhere in the 30 dollar an hour range, but am now woking elsewhere at 10 dollars an hour PT with NO medical benefits...........Reading all of the other comments, I am glad that I didn;t complete my RN, if there are no jobs (It was difficult for me to find ths PT job). Then I would owe around 40,000 to the government.!

fenderstratg1968

President Obama,

Thank you for saying all the nice things about nurses. Yes, there is a shortage, but yet the hospitals keep working the regular staff to the point that they burn out of nursing. They do not want to bring in registry nurses like me in to help. Thus, our incomes are suffering terribly. I have not worked but four hours and then was sent home, in two weeks. I cannot pay my bills and may loose my car which I only have about six months to pay off. Another nurse was almost evicted because of this nonsense going with the hospitals not having registry nurses helping out and putting these hiring freezes on. We do not earn more than the floor nurses and most nurses I know that work for a registry work very hard no matter what hospital they are in. I was a military wife for 22 years and I have received two commendations from two different colonels in the European theater for my work done at an outlying Air Force clinic in Bad Aibling, Germany. I also started a blood pressure monitoring program for the American Red Cross in Munich, Germany where I lived. I worked for Walter Reed Army Medical Center during the Gulf War training new reservists while the active duty soldiers went to war. I even received a commendation from the unit my now ex-husband was in in Munich, Germany. No one can find work now as a nurse. Most of the hospitals in southern California have hiring freezes. I may be forced into early retirment because I cannot earn a living as a nurse anymore. I take care of my 34 year old physically disabled daughter. I have come to a point in my career where I really do not know what to do anymore. Are you creating any jobs out here in CA ? Since I lived in Europe I would even work for DOD in Europe if a position is open. My pay grade at Walter Reed was GS11/12. Because of my level of experience I received a dual rating so I could apply for a supervisory position if I wanted to when one came open. Thank you, President Obama, for listening and seeing our plight.

Sincerely,
    Lynda Lutz, RN, Mother, and Caretaker

fenderstratg1968

President Obama,

• Image_resize_medium_max50

azmominnrsgschl

Thank him all you want but until there are actual jobs for Nurses... what's the point of recognition? So many new grads are coming out of school and can't find a job and he brings up the need to bring in international applicants to fill the jobs.that are in dire need of nurses, who apparently there are not enough nursing students coming out of school to fill... WHAT JOBS I ASK YOU MR. PRESIDENT?

valdee73

thanks to Obama for his appreciation of nurses. A physcian assistant is not a doctor, therefore
    a nurses assistant is not a nurse, this includes CNA's, NA's,PCT's, etc. And as for salary RN's &
    LPN's are underpaid. But there seems to be an increase in the salaries of the ancillary staff. And in some facilities the ancillary staff's salaries are more or equal to nurses. SOMETHING IS SERIOUSLY WRONG.

• Pic-0120_max50

LEM_RN2008

Very nice to hear his kind words, but let's see if he can put our money where his mouth is. New grads right now can't get a job anywhere in southern CA and in Michigan ( I know I called over the metro Detroit area). Let's see what the future brings

• 042_max50

POC

And as carieanne said, I have yet to see Obama DO much but talk, and give away a bunch of my money.

• 042_max50

POC

CNA's are not nurses. If they were, they'd be called "nurses", not "assistants" You get a "certification" for CNA, not a license. You are operating under someone elses license, the same way EMT's (all the way up to Paramedics) are operating under a doctors license, not their own.
    We just started using CNA's at the hospital I work at. We lost one nurse position, and got a CNA.

louberi

ah CNA are not nurses lets not throw the term nursing around, they are healthcare providers who are greatly appreciated.

smschafle

CNA;s are nurses...and that's a fact. You are not paid well for what you do, and that's a fact. But then nurses with higher degrees are not paid well either. Education is costly and time consuming. The only reward is being more reponsible in the court of law. I think nursing, starting with CNA's to PHD's should be paid more. Basketball players, having fun, get paid millions per year. But anyone in the people business (nurses, teachers, police, fireman,etc) are not paid their worth at any level.

carieanne

I agree it is nice to hear the words, however, all of his words have been empty promises so far. He is eloquent and good at telling everyone what they want to hear. He is right but he has done nothing yet so I will have to take a wait and see stance for this one.

MGOOSE

I was not an Obama fan during the election, and still have my doubts, HOWEVER...It is really about time that an important figure head such as our President acknowledges the back breaking work we nurses do. President Obama, if you read any of theese comments, maybe you could call the New York State Government officials about the poor treatment of Nurses, and the fact that they are one of the Nations lowest paid health care workers.

sonsoucie3

well what about us nurses aides and med techs you never hear enough about our jobs.WE ARE THE EYES EARS AND NOSES FOR OUR NURSES.IN THE NURSINGHOMES WE KNOW FAR MORE ABOUT OUR RESIDENTS THAN THE NURSES.WE FEED BATH TOILET CONSOLE CONFORT AND DO ALL THE DAILY CARE OUR RESIDENTS LONG FO AND NEED AND THE NURSES DO THE CARTING ON THE CARE WE GIVE.I HAVE NOTHING AGAINST NURSES IM GOING TO BECOME ONE MYSELF ITS JUST MOST THAT YOU WORK WITH EXPECT USE CNAS TO RUN THE HALL AND THEY JUST SIT AT THE DESK JABBING ON THE PHONE AS WE BUST OUR BUTTS TO TAKE CARE OF THESE PEOPLE THE WE YOU WANT TO TAKE A QUICK BREAK WHEN ALL YOU WORK IS CAUGHT UP THE NURSE SAYS NO IM GOING TOO RIGHT NOW.ITS NOT ABOUT THE MONEY THATS FOR SURE US CNAS DONT EVEN GET HEALTH INSURANCE AND THAT MY FRIEND IS THE BIGGEST PROMBLEM WITH OUR J OBS!! OH AND DID I MENTION THE MOST OF US TAKES ON30 PATIENTS AT A SHIFTS HOW IS THAT NOT A SHORTAGE?

raymoss1

It is about time that someone recognizes how important nurses are to country. Nurses also need more protection on the job. to add all of you fellow seasoned nurses out there be kind to the new grads and new hires. We all too where new grads and new hires.

lelaney

Thank you President Obama for recognizing our committment to serve our communities, and our hearts.