RN Jobs >> Browse Articles >> Politics / Government

Pro-Life Health Workers Fight for Conscience Protections

Pro-Life Health Workers Fight for Conscience Protections

The Washington Times

April 09, 2009

President Obama’s campaign promise to dismantle new conscience protections for health care professionals could let governments and medical institutions threaten the careers of pro-lifers who refuse involvement with abortion and contraception issues, a pro-life medical coalition said yesterday.

About 40 doctors, medical students, nurses and lab technicians, all dressed in white lab coats, lined up at the National Press Club on Wednesday to dramatize their opposition to rescinding the extra protections put into place last December by President Bush.

“In some states, pharmacists must dispense certain medications or lose their licenses,” said Dr. David Stevens, CEO of the 15,000-member Christian Medical and Dental Associations, which is a pro-life organization. “Students are denied admission to medical schools or residency programs because they are not in favor of abortion. Doctors and nurses are losing their job or a promotion because of their beliefs.”

Dr. Stevens added that 23 percent of association members report job discrimination because of their beliefs and that “many” are not entering the obstetrics field for fear they will be forced to perform abortions.

In a worst-case scenario drawn by Dr. Stevens, pro-lifers and churches abandoning the medical field entirely, up to one-third of the nation’s hospitals could close and “hundreds of thousands” of people could leave their jobs.

His figure of one-third of America’s hospitals includes the nation’s 615 Roman Catholic hospitals (about one-sixth of the national figure) plus a variety of medical centers operated by conservative Protestant groups. Some Catholic bishops have hinted at closing their hospitals rather than comply with government mandates on abortion and contraception they deem morally unacceptable.

He also figured in hospitals having to close from resulting staff shortages if pro-lifers refuse to enter the medical profession.

The National Family Planning & Reproductive Health Association backs rescinding the Bush rule, saying it also gives immunity to health care workers who refuse to supply contraception because of their religious beliefs.

I feel as a healthcare worker I should have the right to be against abortions.

• Screenshot014_max50

leng

Years before, i was only 19 years old and still in school when i got pregnant with my eldest daughter. If i have chosen to abort her before, i could say that is the biggest mistake of my life if i made the wrong "choice" of killing her when she was still in my womb. seeing her now, how wonderful child she is, how much joy she gives me, then i can say, i made the right choice. i couldnt imagine myself hurting my own child. as women we should all be responsible in our own bodies, having a baby whether we planned it or not, is already a human that deserves to be loved and respected. i saw how gruesome abortion is, how the babies are extracted, vacuumed and how their fragile bodies were torned into pieces, i cannot imagine such acts, it pains me a lot.
    Right, kayty2339, i strongly believe in what you said, if these women who chose to have their babies aborted, then why take away our choice not to participate in the things that we strongly believe out of our moral beliefs/values, if everyone has a choice, health professionals are also humans that are also entitled in our own choice.
    Education is the key factor, but sadly lots of women nowadays have chosen to shrug their shoulders over it. then when the consequences arise, the poor nurses and doctors are to be blamed if they chose not to cooperate to be the accomplice in aborting the human life.

• Bettyboop_max50

nurseaisha

Took the words right out of my mouth kayty2339!!! Way to go!

ekgoodwi,
    Drug use is not a good analogy in this case. If a person believes that abortion is murder, they should not be forced to take a part in it. If a doctor does not believe in abortion he should not have to take part in it. This has nothing to do with religion. This has to do between choosing life and death. You are putting down health care "professionals" for objecting to abortion due to religious and moral boundaries. What about the scientific ones? Scientifically, a fetus at 8 weeks has a beating hear and it's own blood flow and it's own DNA. Scientifically this fetus is a totally seperate human being than it's mother. Yes, it depends on it's mother for it's survival. But it is a totally separate human being. A LIFE. Scientifically when an abortion is done, it is STOPPING this human life from continuing. Otherwise known as KILLING.
    Many of you say it's all about choice. If a woman wants to make that choice it should be up to her. Would you say the same thing if, lets say, incest, abuse, or killing your child was legal because after all, it's that person's choice if they want to commit that horrendous act???? I don't like the choice argument. We all know the difference between right and wrong and just because somebody has the ability to make a "choice" that doesn't make it right. Not only that, but it's interesting that you defend the "choice" of the mother, yet you want to take away the "choice" of the healthcare provider by forcing a doctor or nurse to take part in an action that they are morally opposed to.

JoRN

I will NOT be told to do something against my conscience. If that happens, I am not a litigation crazy person but I WILL SUE.

• 002_max50

NERSESYANNELLI

PEOPLE ALWAYS HAVE TO HAVE CHOICE. EVEN MORE, IF ALL IS ABOUT THEIR BELIEFES. AND, WHAT'S THE MATTER, IF THERE ARE LOTS OF OTHER DOCTORS AND NURSES WHO DO ACCEPT ABORTIONS? JUST LET EACH DO THE JOB HE CHOOSE.

ekgoodwi

Wow. It terrifies me to read the comments of the health care "proffesionals" on this page. Birth control and abortion are medical issues and deserve to be treated as such. I object to drug use, but would I refuse to fill a heroine addict's prescription for an antibiotic after they developed an abcess? Of course not, because it's a medical issue, not a moral one, and even if I do object on moral grounds my place for doing so is in a church, or even out on the street, not in the pharmacy or medical office. Go to church, espouse your beliefs, but do it in the proper place. If you have a problem doing integral parts of you job because of religious or moral beliefs, then you are not in the right field. Period.

God gives life and people have no right to destroy it.

• 810_max50

saltyscalop

Why do you not support someone that loves Muslims michelle40f? Do you fill your heart with hatred for all Muslims? I hope that you are not a nurse here in America, or anywhere for that matter. I hope at least that all of you pro lifers are pacifists. How can you support a war, and not allow abortion? Killing is killing. Think it though; would Jesus send people to war? McCain would.

• Haha_nathan_max50

michelle40f

But yet sooo many people voted for that baby killing,muslim loving idiot. glad I voted McCain.but now WE ALL have to suffer.

U2859

Wow, so many people think they know the answers to everything - well it is not for me to judge my fellow man -but I guess we do need to practice what we believe- I believe in humanity - all people are weak and flawed in different ways - a a nurse I must do mybest to help relieve my patient's suffering even if his /her belief is different than mine.

snursegrey

As a nurse for over twenty years i am appalled that the number one cause of murder in America is abortion, the taking of innocent, vulnerable and no doubt precious lives!
    How can we as health professionals stand by for so long and allow this to happen, and now we may be forced to continue. God says no, this atrocity must end now, we as health professionals have the power and voice to do so. United we stand to fight for the lives of these precious gems!
    Stephanie Grey-Swaby RN-Be Healthy Ministries,Inc.

• Bettyboop_max50

nurseaisha

Crimsonandclover: Statistically speaking, since 1997, 2 pro abortionists have lost their lives to clinic violence. (this info per the NAF, National Abortion Federation, website) Since 1997, over 16.44 million children have lost their lives to the violence of abortion, (this info per The Center for Bio Ethical Reform website) and at the very hand of the one person who should be their protector...their own mother. Now, I've never been very good at math, but I'm pretty sure the numbers here speak for themselves. I do not condone violence on any level, and I am a so called "pro-lifer". As far as being pro-WOMAN, I truly believe that it is an enormous responsibility to be a woman, and only those who are strong enough can earn the title. That being said, not every female can be classified as such. If women want more respect, more dignity, then they should behave like women...REAL WOMEN, take responsibility for their actions, and also take responsibility when the action was not a welcome one. It's unfortunate, and rare, I say rare becasue less than 1% of abortions are performed for rape or incest, so that pro choice argument is seriously tired. Education is the key....it's always the key, but many individuals would rather remain ignorant than educate themselves on the brutality of abortion. Now, stepping off of my soapbox...TheSingingNurse is right, this is about being forced to engage in an act which many healthcare professionals find abhorent. I knew I didn't vote for Obama for a reason, and this is it!

• Summer___i_sailing_out_to_see_dolphins_padre_2008_max50

TheSingingNurse

Number 1, we are not arguing the rights of women here! We are talking about being forced by law to engage in a practice that we morally object to. There are plenty of nurses and doctors that believe abortion is ok, so why should those of us who do not be forced into being an accomplice to murdering an unborn child? Let those who think it's ok do it and leave us out of it!

kashaRN

Since when is choosing to murder an innocent person a right? We have collectively lost our minds if we are threatened by a newborn baby. Animals have more "rights." Human beings have souls. We ourselves do NOT create life but participate in a great mystery. Making a choice to end a life is not a whim. One does not kill and not expect a personal consequence. That is maddness and so is taking away my right to refuse to participate in a abortion. yes we can.....who are we?