RN Jobs >> Browse Articles >> Offbeat

Pregnant Woman, 66, Defends Right to Give Birth

Pregnant Woman, 66, Defends Right to Give Birth

Daily Mail

May 20, 2009

The woman expecting to become Britain’s oldest mother tried to have a child through IVF around five years ago, a friend said yesterday.

Elizabeth Adeney, 66, was left ‘emotionally exhausted’ by the process and considered giving up.

But she persevered after seeking advice and is now expecting her child – understood to be a son – weeks before her 67th birthday.

The friend said: ’Liz first failed to fall pregnant several years ago and only wanted to go through the process again if it was likely to work.

What do you think about this? Sound off here!

‘She was really emotionally exhausted by it and she’s a sensible woman, so she didn’t want to face all that upset or risk health trouble unless she stood a good chance of having a baby.

’She had a long talk with a nurse friend of hers regarding her options and the complications that might be involved, given her age.

‘Having consulted medical professionals, she was very positive about the whole thing.’

Mrs Adeney, of Lidgate, Suffolk, has brushed off criticism of her pregnancy.

The childless divorcee, who is still working a five-day week at the Suffolk plastic and textiles firm where she is managing director, said: ‘I have young girls working for me in my factory and I’m fitter than half of them.

‘It doesn’t interest me that I’m going to be the oldest mum in the country. It’s not my physical age that is important; it’s how I feel inside. Some days, I feel 39. Others, I feel 56.’

She insisted she was not worried that she has no partner or siblings to support her.

I can understand wanting a child. However, I believe that Mrs. Adeney is being extremely selfish - if she survives to even see her child graduate school it will be a miracle. This child will be left to the mercies of society without parental guidance or care. I truly believe that there comes a time when you must ultimately just learn to live with the regret of being childless. I cannot see any true redeeming quality for her choice.

sunshinejan

I see what you're saying, Judith66. Though my comments aren't necessarily "clinical", I try to at least express them in objective, not subjective terms. Though emotions are part of the practice of nursing, it is an evidence-based science at its heart. There are plenty of other sites where people can express their views in a more dramatic religious-based or gossip-slanted way. I was hoping this site was different.

trakmegordo711

She persevered and had been aware of the demands of the pregnancy all along, With proper care and support , not necessarily by her relatives, determination and unshaken motivation, she will make it

• Family_017_max50

feistymamaof2

The only thing I think Is sad about this story is the lack of extended family this child will have. It is important to a child. Even if the mother is completely independant. I think, if her health holds out, she will do a great job.

Judith66

To tghen, I did not say "it" was non-medical, but that the chatter is non-medical. You might say gossipy. As I said it is between her physician and herself. The comments here certainly don't sound very clinical overall. Thought this "Nursinglink" was a medical web site for licensed NURSES.

SchwesterS

I think it's none of anyone's business but her's (and her doc's) if this woman has a baby or not and she'll probably take much better care of him that most 15-25 year olds. I do think it is sad she waited this long or it took this long to succeed and for the child to lose his mother at a young age but we don't know when that will be and neither does Professor Antinori. He can't possibliy predict the child will lose his mother before age 20, some people actually live past the age of 87 while others have passed in their 30's and 40's! Even if it were like that it will depend on how she raises her child to deal with the impending loss. Noone cares if someone with an unhealthy lifestyle or degenerating illness has a child and noone should. I thought discrimination was illegal?

Judith66

My comment was removed because I said that this issue is private, and the comments sound like non-nursing chatter. Does this web site solicit mailing lists to anyone who wants one. This is gossip and very non medical. It is like talking about your patients when you are with friends. Why not find something productive to talk about, like helping children who live on the street? Better use of energy, don't you think?

mimi_rn

I wish her the best. I personally think it is too old but it doesn't matter what I think. I hope she will develop a support system because she is definitely going to need one. I hope and pray that her baby is healthy. Also to address what the person said about God not being involved with medical science this is not true. Would you also say it is not the will of God if a 20 year old had invitro and conceived? Is it not the will of God if a person with cancer receives chemo and becomes cancer free? God works through people including Doctors. God said that children are a gift and they are no less a gift if they are conceived by medical intervention.

• My_personal_pics003_max50

tqhen

To Judith, how can you say this is a nonmedical issue? Even with all the marvels of modern medicine, this woman is 66 years old!!! Her risk of having a child with Downs Syndrome is greatly increased, the chance that she could die in childbirth is increased. These issues should've been addressed before she became pregnant.

• My_personal_pics003_max50

tqhen

I guess congrats are in order, but has she given ANY thought to how having a senior citizen for a parent is going to affect the child? My parents were in their 40's when I was born, and although I felt very loved and protected, they couldn't do some of the things the younger parents did with their kids. Add to that the fact that I was an only child as this child will be, and it makes for a very lonely childhood. In addition to all that, what happens to the child if she becomes ill, since she has no support system? All these issues should have been addressed BEFORE she got herself pregnant!

Judith66

anniesloan

That's miracle, everything will going smooth like the God will

Mamaaidiyon

THAT'S WONDERFUL. GLORY BE TO GOD WHO MADE IT POSSIBLE

pearsonbrooklyn

Good for her I"m very happy for this lady good luck with the new life that is coming her way at my age of 50 I know that I can go for it too

sunshinejan

It should be noted that to compare a woman's conceiving after this kind of infertility treatment to "God's will" is a slight stretching of reason at best. God apparently made His will evident when He rendered her unable to conceive past a certain age and certainly after the first round of treatments. I'm not sure why people are bringing 'God' into a process that appears designed to specifically bypass God's natural design.