RN Jobs >> Browse Articles >> General Health

RN Jobs >> Browse Articles >> Offbeat

Little Fighter: Baby Born at 23 Weeks Survives

Little Fighter: Baby Born at 23 Weeks Survives

Daily Mail UK

June 29, 2009

She arrived four months early, so small that she could fit in the palm of her father’s hand.

Six months on, Jessica Hawkins is still on the tiny side – but has beaten the odds by growing into a healthy baby girl.

Yesterday her mother Sam, 35, a child-care assessor, said: ’She has amazed us and all the hospital staff who have seen her.

‘She has just done brilliantly and didn’t even need oxygen when she came home which we were very surprised about.

‘We couldn’t take our eyes off her and are still in disbelief every day that she’s actually ours.’

Jessica was initially thought to have been miscarried, but a scan showed her heart was beating.

She then arrived very ahead of schedule on December 29 last year weighing just 1lb 7oz.

More General Health News

It was a particularly difficult time for Mrs Hawkins and her husband Pete, 44, as the couple had already lost five children to miscarriage, including one at 19 weeks and one at 20 weeks.

Mrs Hawkins had two cycles of IVF but was told it was ‘highly unlikely’ she would have children.

When Jessica was born at 23 weeks she was held in intensive care but only needed a ventilator for four weeks.

Mr Hawkins, an administrator with Bedfordshire Police, said: ‘When I first saw her in the incubator I broke down because there were so many tubes and everything.’

Jessica was eventually allowed to return home to Bedford with her parents on May 5, just weeks after her original due date.

Today she weighs a healthy 9lb 11oz, has passed all her sight and hearing tests and is beginning to show interest in objects and toys like any normal child.

The only difference is she is the size of a six-week-old, not a six-month-old.

Last May MPs voted against cutting the upper limit for abortion from 24 weeks to 20 weeks.

Sound Off! What Do You Think of the Baby Who was Born 4 Months Early?

Jessica’s remarkable tale of survival may reignite the debate. Both her parents said they believed the limit should be lowered.

Tory MP Nadine Dorries, who was behind the campaign to change the law, said: ‘I wish Jessica and her family well. She is a testament to how far medical science has advanced in neonatal care and she will be a valuable source of reference for the future.’

© YellowBrix 2009

kim35401

I have a son that was born at 23 weeks also. He weighed 1lb 4oz.. He stayed in the hospital 7 months before he went home. He has had some obstacles along the way and he's had 19 surgeries to date. He is 2 years old and a blessing. He is the happiest baby and oblivious to everything he has endured. He is so loving and cuddly and I wouldn't trade him for the world. We still have things to deal with like PT, OT, Speech Therapy, Hydrocephalus, and ROP, but when he smiles at me, it's all worth it. I'm only 25 so it was hard to deal with at first. Thanks to him, I learned so much when he was in the hospital that I've recently gone back to school for Nursing!! I couldn't think of a better way to give back to all the doctors, nurses, and specialists that helped him, than to work at the Children's Hospital that became our second home. I want to give back and be an advocate for these special angels. I call my son "My living testimony" as to what GOD can do. The doctors are amazed at how well he is doing. I thank GOD for the technology, but I know it was HIM who had the final say. Take care of your "miracle baby". She was kept here for a reason. These angels will be Great one day! GOD Bless!!

• 334194_4082566659164_677343731_o_max50

swimnutt1523

what a brave couple I could not imagine there anxiety with a preemie this is a wonderful story

• Tammy_christmas_2002_max50

Trkrantz

That is a wonderful story. These new parents are extremely blessed. God works in mysterious ways.

haleyaddi1234

Nothing is impossible with God. He has a plan for us all. Praise be unto God, give him the Glory!!!!

• 199_max50

kjagnew1

Great story! This new family is truely blessed

AWESOME!!!!

• Dsc04086_max50

prisca

I would like to believe its God the almighty's decision to give and to take ,this one was meant to be Mrs Hawkins's baby no matter what,its God 's decision and no one can reverse it.hes powerful!!!!

RATTI

its a miracle baby, all glory goes to Almighty God.,May God Bless all family amen

oluwadara

This is amazing and the wonderful work of God. The Lord that make her to be alive against all odds will cause her to grow more and more even to celebrate more years on earth.
    Grace O.RN

texaggie1905

my daughter was also born 4 months early in Arizona she weighed 2lbs 1oz. This was in 1987 she is now in the Navy . My daughter stayed in the hospital for only 2 months and was able to go home @5lbs. She was so tiny that the face mask used by the nurses and doctors were used as her diaper. May God Bless this family.

NurseMcHenry

It was a God thing! This is an amazing story

• Img00197_max50

RNStudent83

Wow! What a miracle Jessica is! I am so very happy that this family was blessed with the chance to conceive again and have a beautiful daughter. This is truly a blessing from above and I pray that she remains healthy. May God continue to bless this family.

evieandpeg

This child was loved and called a 'baby" at 23 weeks.If you're aborted you are a "fetus" at 23 weeks! If someone breaks the egg of an endangered bird, they can be fined but it is legal to kill your own child inside of you. God help us!

kathyswarthout

My grandson was born at 21 weeks gestation. His heart beat and he breathed on his own for 2 minutes. No resuscitation efforts were made because he was "not viable" at 21 weeks. My daughter-in-law had 30+ weeks of bedrest and progesterone injections, in addition to cerclage to carry her second son to 35 weeks. They still mourn the first son, while delighting in the second son.
    Kathy Swarthout, RN

CICI

My daughter was born weighing 1 lb. 11 oz. in 1994. She is in the tenth grade and what I call my miracle. She stayed in the hospital for 92 days. She had a grade IV intraventricular hemorrhage, but temporary shunt helped. She has mild cerebral palsy. To others she is a normal teenager, to me she is my miracle from above and a normal teenager. ,