RN Jobs >> Browse Articles >> Healthcare Reform

Rate

Have a Health Care Reform Headache?

Have a Health Care Reform Headache?

McClatchy/Tribune

August 27, 2009

We have the cure to what ails you! Here is a rundown of the basics about what health coverage looks like now, and what may change under bills being developed on Capitol Hill to reform the health care system:

Q: Where do most people in America get their insurance now?

An estimated 253.4 million people had coverage in 2007, according to the most recent analysis by the U.S. Census Bureau. The majority of those had private insurance, most of it obtained through an employer. Eighty-three million people got health insurance from the government through Medicare, Medicaid or some other program such as the Veterans Health Administration.

Q: How many people don’t have coverage?

The Census Bureau estimated that 45.7 million people in the country under age 65 did not have insurance in 2007. (Most discussions focus on those under 65 because senior citizens have access to Medicare.)

Many experts believe that the number of uninsured is higher now, perhaps 47 million or more, because so many people have lost coverage in the economic downturn. Even more people may go without coverage for a time as a result of changing jobs, leaving school or some other event. An analysis by the consumer group Families USA estimated that about 64.5 million people were uninsured for at least six months in 2007 and 2008.

The majority of the uninsured, more than eight in 10, are in working families.

Q: Is it true that most people who are uninsured have money but choose not to be insured, or are illegal immigrants?

No. A study by the nonpartisan Kaiser Family Foundation found:

— 66 percent of the uninsured were either poor or near poor, as defined by the federal poverty level.

— Young adults, age 19-29, comprise a large share of the uninsured, mostly because of their low incomes.

— 79 percent of the uninsured were U.S. citizens.

Illegal immigrants and mandates…

Rate
  • Lbisunrise_max50

nursemaryann

OK - let's get emotional........
    Wow, you guys sure have the Obama/Pelosi/Reid/Unions talking-points down perfect - Truth you say?...what a laugh! And to quote the liberal Kaiser Foundation numbers...and the footnote on where the "Q&A" was compiled....George Soros should be included in the......good job on the continuation of distorting the truth.
    Yes, saspeedster....what ever happened to people taking care of themselves. The ANA and other nursing organizations have to realize that we in healthcare are not blind sheep that follow.....unlike the Obama minions, we think, feel, are compassionate and work hard for what we have. We will not sit back and be herded.........Don't Tread On Me (Us) - ever!!

saspeedster

What ever happened to people taking care of themselves? I consider it greedy that a total stranger would try to make it my responsibility to take care of them, and their children. Then when I don't want to pay for them, they elect some public servant that is going to mandate me into servitude to take care of them. When this happens they diminish my ability to take care of myself and my family. It is not morally right, nor it is not Constitutional legal for me to be bound into the servitude of others merely because they existence. How can you have good health without proper food? How can a body sustain itself in a healthy manner with proper, hypoallergenic, clean clothing? How can a person maintain proper mental and physical wellbeing without the proper shelter? Why should we not give everyone food, clothing, and shelter. After all we are the most industrially advanced and wealthiest nation on this blue sphere we call earth.

You see, this bleeding heart liberal issue has no end. There is no limit to the taxes they are willing to burden you with. A liberal simply does NOT care. Socialist do not understand that sooner or later you will run out of people to take money from. My right to keep the fruits of my labor supersedes anyone persons desire for me to care for them. I give to my church and to whom I choose. I am selective to give to deserving people and causes. The government absolutely refuses to reject giving money to people who do not deserve it. The government is happy to give both to moral and immoral causes. Our government is happy to grant money to artist to pee in a bottle with a small statue of Christ, and call it art. It enjoys and even justifies buying hammers at $600.00 each.

The government has bankrupted Social Security and they will do the same to universal healthcare. People forget that the government PROMISED the American people, that it would put all collected Social Security funds in a "LOCK BOX" (this was law). They lied to us, to each and every one of us. They used these funds on other liberal social welfare programs and bankrupted Social Security. If any American company did the same thing to the pension funds of its employees, the officers of that company would be put in jail. Our government cannot manage even the Post Office, a large but very simple business model, that they have had well over a hundred years to try to perfect. Our current health care system is far, far more complex that the mere Post Office. We already have a government health care system, it's called the VA. Here's a news flash. No one wants to go there. Need I explain the reasons?

The only thing I know our government does well is create the best military in the world. And considering that is the only thing I think they do well, it scares the hell out of me, and I am a vet. People need to slow down and take a deep breath. There is no crisis. We do however need some changes; costs are way too high in health care. But let's all slow down and try some alternatives that don't lead us down the road of Socialism, Fascism, or Communism. Oh yes, one more thing......read a copy of the Constitution.

• Picture_021_max50

angienwgeorgia

Wow, a few minutes ago I posted on this thread and did it disapear? I was just going to add that I took that quiz on your knowledge level on this subject and I scored very bad. I need to study with reputable writers.

• Picture_021_max50

angienwgeorgia

Well I have a problem..........Im not motivated and really do have a headache. I have been so vocal on ths whole issue for many postings, and I feel like Im running out of steam. I have run out of topics without maybe copying somebody else, aka plagerize. Ive always had the point that I worked my ass off to keep my benefits and all. I even got married to a wonderful stable man in "05 and I do feel blessed personally. Even so, I know of a group of folk I use to hang around with when I was a wild child in my earlier days. Those 3 never held a stable job. One of them has been diagnosed with hep C, has been doing drugs from the time I met her. Im never sacked out at her place because of the smoking in the home........and it wasnt the legal stuff. I left that crowd when I got accepted into nursing school, and never looked back once. Are there many like me who have 'made it in the material world' and can go to the md if I need to. I get sporadic emails from her occasionally telling me she's going to court again for medicare..........shes my age. Her profession is a waitress and she said the state of florida wont let her work because of the hep c. Im clueless. Although that group is no longer in my circle of friends I dont want them sick and in pain. I have often sent money to assist with bills when I can, but it pisses my husband off I keep it up. I cant afford for my taxes to go up, but I want people to be treated more then second class citizens when they show up at the ER cuz they dont have a pcp because they dont have insurance. BTW, I have often sent articles to her for ways to go to college and how to get financial aide, but she never checks it out. My hubby said...........face it she doesnt want help, except for free health care. However I do worry about her. Is that being 2 faced? Ok, I know I'll be blasted............go for it, my husband just balanced my checkbook, Im still in the mood for an argument.

brownsu

To mommyrn98: What was the title of the study that you refer to in your first paragraph, and where was it published? I can't tell how much weight to ascribe to it without more specific information....as i'm sure you are aware as someone with a formal degree in nursing.

RNKate

mommyrn98 gets a rousing AMEN! from me. She has hit the crux of the issue square on.

mommyrn98

My problem with the whole issue of government-run healthcare, is that, as an RN working in hospice now, I see the mess that has been made of Medicare and Medicaid by bureaucrats who have no medical background. My biggest fear is that the new legislation proposed will again lead to even more of a disaster. Look at the recent statistics in Great Britain and Canada regarding the loss of hospital beds and the increase in mortality of patients whom, currently in the United States, would be considered at a low-risk for complications. Just this morning, for instance, a study was released regarding obstetric beds and the limited space allowed in Great Britain and the resulting increase in mortality for mothers and babies who were born in hospital corridors, elevators, and other non-obststric units of the hospitals. If you don't think it can happen here, think again.

Under the current administration, our tax dollars will be put to work to employ a government panel of non-medical personnel who will be determining the necessity of medical procedures. Already we have to jump through hoops to get medical procedures with some insurance plans. Do you honestly believe the government will do anything differently?

I do, however, believe there should be insurance reform, but the first step is tort reform. Those of you who disagree should talk to your own doctors and ask them the enormous amount of money they have to spend in premiums for liability insurance. If the frivilous lawsuits continue, doctors will continue leaving this country, and the issue of rationing medical care, as I have heard it debated, will not be an issue. Lines will become longer to recieve the medical care that is needed.

Ultimately, something must be done, but we must be careful not to cut off our nose to spite our own face. This piece of legislation once again makes people more dependant on government to take care of them, just like the disaster that is known as welfare. I mean, why work and providde insurance for yourself and your fammily if you can sit back, draw your welfare checks, and allow hard-working citizens like myself to pay for it for you?

jamieschultz

Funny, truthbeknown is the only one i dont agree with. If you think this is about money versus caring for people, you should read the bill. So should the author. Just because Bush did some damage doesnt mean we should let it continue, or in this Administrations case, become irreversible.

milocat

i agree with TruthBeKnown on every point. Thanks for your courage.

TruthBeKnown

As a retired Director of a Social Service Program, my job was to see that people access the services that they needed. Presently, disabled due to an auto accident that was not my fault, and totally unable to work at this time, I see the other sides (as there are many) of the proverbial coin!

The unfortunate thing about the previous comments appear to be that instead of listening to statistics from both sides, many have been poisoned by very self-serving sources!!! Additionally, nurses and those in medical services, seem to have hardened over the years in regard to the true meaning of "HEALTHCARE"! As long as they are making $60,000. plus a year and get that paycheck every week....the source of where that money comes from does not mean anything to many in the field.

I won't go any further except to say that as someone now on disability, who worked all of my life, had health insurance provided by my employers, and now must take what I get...and I am lucky to have that...as a single woman with grown children who are having health problems of their own and their employers dropped their coverage due to the expense, all I will say is that this article is right about the appropriate thing...the affordable thing for our country at this time is...somewhere in the middle.

Those who oppose Healthcare for all....have no sense of humanity anymore! It is all about the almighty dollar. The wealthy individuals and corporations who have been riding on everyone else's coat-tails since 2000, with their tax incentives, tax loopholes, off-shore banking accounts, and major tax deductions...to the point where they don't pay a penny on the millions of dollars that they make...still don't want to pay their fair share!!! This country doesn't run on air...it runs on the tax dollars of many of the same individuals who can't afford healthcare....the working poor...who have to pay their taxes!!!

The wealthy have hired big-time lobbyists and hate-groups to lead us away from every American Citizen having the same rights!!! WE ARE 37TH IN THE WORLD FOR HEALTHCARE!!! THAT IS A SHAME!!! WHAT WOULD JESUS DO??? FIGHT TO SAVE TAXES FOR THE WEALTHY...OR HELP A WORKING MOM WITH KIDS, A BLUE-COLLAR FATHER WITH HIS FAMILY, THOSE WHOSE EMPLOYERS CAN'T AFFORD TO PROVIDE HEALTH INSURANCE...THE WAITRESS, THE STUDENT, THE LABORER....AND MORE. MILLIONS OF SITUATIONS WHERE PEOPLE FIND THEMSELVES UNINSURED OR UNINSURABLE!!!

HAVE A HEART...LETS FIND A MIDDLE-ROAD AND LET THOSE WHO NEED IT...GET IT!!! BY THE WAY, IF YOU ARE COMPLAINING ABOUT THE COSTS...WHERE WERE YOU WHEN BUSH WAS BORROWING BILLIONS FROM 12 FOREIGN COUNTRIES? WHERE WERE YOU WHEN HE WAS SIPHONING OFF TRILLIONS OF DOLLARS FROM ALL OF THE TRUST FUNDS, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE SOCIAL SECURITY TRUST FUND (SIPHONED OFF OVER $2 TRILLION FROM S.S.), THE MILITARY RETIREMENT TRUST FUND, THE FEDERAL EMPLOYEE RETIREMENT TRUST FUND, THE FEDERAL EMPLOYEE HOSPITALIZATION TRUST FUND, THE RAILROAD RETIREMENT TRUST FUND, ALL OF THE AMERICAN INDIAN TRUST FUNDS AND LAND RESERVE TRUSTS....AND MANY MORE!!! ALL FOR A WAR WITH NO CONNECTION TO 9/11 AND NO WEAPONS OF MASS DESTRUCTION (PROVEN)! THE REAL WINNER WAS DICK CHENEY WHOSE STOCK OPTIONS IN (NO-BID) HALLIBURTON MADE HIM $6MILLION DOLLARS OR MORE EACH YEAR HE WAS VICE PRESIDENT!!! HALLIBURTON(WHO MADE BILLIONS IN IRAQ ALONG WITH ITS SUBSIDIARIES (BLACKWATER AND BROWN & ROOT) WHO PUT THEIR MONEY IN THE CAYMAN ISLANDS AND DESPITE SANCTIONS AGAINST IRAN...SIGNED BILLION DOLLAR CONTRACTS WITH IRAN TO RENOVATE THEIR OLD OIL REFINERIES AND BUILD NEW ONES).

WHERE WERE YOU WHEN BUSH IN 2000 GAVE TAX BREAKS TO CORPORATIONS WHO OUT-SOURCED THEIR JOBS TO CHINA AND INDIA...AND THEY ALL RAN LIKE THIEVES IN THE NIGHT AND MADE BILLIONS OF DOLLARS TAKING OUR JOBS WITH THEM! AMERICAN WORKERS EVEN HAD TO TRAIN THEIR OVERSEAS COUNTER-PARTS THAT WERE TAKING OVER FOR THEM.

WHERE WERE YOU WHEN BUSH LEFT 200,000 OF THE BEST JOBS IN THE COUNTRY OPEN FOR FOREIGN NATIONALS INSTEAD OF AMERICAN CITIZENS!!!

OPEN YOUR EYES PEOPLE!!! I WILL LEAVE YOU WITH THIS QUOTE:

"Never doubt that a small group of committed people can change the world; indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
    ~ Margaret Mead

rwwb2

WE KEEP WORKING HARD SO OTHERS DON'T HAVE TOO!

• Dsc_0067_max50

lilbit5

Bull.

topcat

I could have guess your answers, after reading the source of information.. Answers are only partial senarios and don't say the whole truth of what may happen under this care. Tammy. GA Nurse