RN Jobs >> Browse Articles >> Healthcare Reform

Obama to Nurses: Statistics Show Need for Overhauling Health

Obama to Nurses: Statistics Show Need for Overhauling Health

(Source; Associated Press)

Associated Press / AP Online

September 10, 2009

WASHINGTON – Trumpeting nurses’ support for health care reform and a grimmer accounting of the nation’s uninsured, President Barack Obama kept up the pressure for congressional action on Thursday.

“We don’t need more partisan distractions,” Obama said in remarks at the White House, speaking again on the issue just 14 hours after his Wednesday night address to Congress and a television-watching public. “We have talked this issue to death. … The time for talk is winding down.”

The White House event was organized with the American Nurses Association, to showcase the group’s backing for Obama’s drive to overhaul the nation’s health care system. Obama says his plan would give people who have health insurance greater security, set up a marketplace for affordable access to coverage for those without and reduce health care costs for all.

More Health Reform News

Seeking to sweep away a summer of gridlock on his top domestic priority, Obama plans to remain in the spotlight on health care repeatedly over the coming days. He is appearing at a rally on Saturday in Minnesota and scheduled a health care speech for next Tuesday.

Before a crowd of cheering nurses, Obama said too many people are being cut off from coverage.

Sound Off! Obama’s Healthcare Reform Plan: Will It Work?

“It is heartbreaking and it is wrong and nobody should be treated that way in the United States of America. Nobdoy,” the president said.

He also cited new Census statistics, released Thursday, showing that the number of uninsured has risen to 46.3 million from 45.7 million in 2007. Obama also said that over the last 12 months, 6 million Americans have lost health care coverage since the economy plunged into recession, making the picture significantly worse than reflected in the Census report.

© YellowBrix 2009

• Dscf0350_max50

theala

Razorback: no thanks. I'm pleased that the President is still fighting for meaningful reform.

• Razorback_max50

RazorbackRN

if you search fb for "against government healthcare" their are several organization groups to join..many with high membership & great info

• Razorback_max50

RazorbackRN

I am deifinately not alone, please view the links I have provided.

I encourage you guys to Facebook search "nurses against healthcare" ... I was going to start a group page, but I actually found numerous groups. There is one group for Healthcare workers against government healthcare. These groups desperately need membership and support. I just joined. I haven't seen any wall postings yet, & if it turns out to be a flop, I encourage any nurse interested to contact me and we together will start a very active page. Our voices will never be heard if we don't start somewhere.

Tim0126

Healthcare reform is one thing. Replacement is something else entirely. We can not allow the government to take over healthcare. Every program the government touches is mismanaged, and over budget. It always ends up costing the tax payer many times more than what they promise. They are politicians, and always understate, lie or spin the facts about what ever program they are pushing. If you want to see what it would be like, check out the VA system. Not one I want for my family.

raethekd

One thing that I think should be addressed is how many of the 46.3 million CAN get insurance, but choose not to. If a family spends $600 a month on cigarettes and buys high end food and beauty products it is a choice if they do not have insurance. In addition to this I have seen countless patients come through my hospital that get all the care they need for free since they cannot pay. We need a reform, but that reform is to limit lawsuits to reduce costs and to help those who truly cannot get insurance or those who cannot get adequate insurance due to health problems.

• March_2009_121_max50

jonda

come on people this is only heading toward communism,,,wake up

texasnurse07

jUST WHAT IS HIS PLAN? Obama has not stated specifics.....As a retired Nurse with 40 years experience, show me the facts. All his promises of cuts to medicare means more government, more paperwork, less patient care. Why should those that worked all our lives give everyone else a free ride? I've paid enough taxes and so have our elderly parents!

VIXEN007

When Obama floods the US market with foreign trained nurses who will work for $10/hour, the nurses who blindly supported a plan they knew nothing about will be sorry. Patient advocacy will be lost. Just like at the VA, you can advocate all you want, but I couldn't even get cheese and peanut butter for a diabetic patient unless I brought it in myself!

VIXEN007

Those nurses who support a plan without knowing all of the details are failing to use their nursing process: ADPIE. In my humble opinion, they should have used ADPIE with Obama rather than blindly cheering. Where is the evaluation piece of this legislation? I have a background in managed care, my undergraduate degree is in healthcare administration and I firmly believe that this proposal will ruin healthcare, the nursing profession and wipe out the US economy.

Teacher_First

Oh Cherrie, I can't believe you uttered the word "prevention" in the same sentence speaking to taking meds and advance directives. If people would take responsibility for their health in a truly preventative way (i.e. eat healthy foods, exercise, don't smoke, manage stress, etc.), we would not even be having this conversation. Once you are talking about polypharmacy and advance directives, you are way too late!

• Me_max50

karenM

I have a question? Is everyone that has an opinion about this issue actually doing research to understand it? It seems as though people are watching commercials and listening to opinions of broadcasters (that don't even get in the field anymore btw) who are told what to say b/c of the station that employs them... it's all so political. I challenge everyone to do some research and look at the FACTS (not opinions of others) w/an open-mind. It might take some time to research but imagine how liberating it will be to actually be able to answer someone's question b/c you KNOW and not b/c you are upset....

jemajo

Cherrie-You won't like being in healthcare if it passes. I have 44 years of experience in healthcare and it has been government intervention that has been our nemesis.

DSJohnson

Cherrie - healthcare reform will take away that right to say how you want your health care to be. Obama and the liberal party want control, not to help the American people but control them.

Emmatol

Thanks for reasonably supporting the health care reform.

cherrie

As a nurse, I do support the health care reform plan. It is embarrasing not to be able to care for our own. Health care should not be dependent upon finances. All Americans, including the 46.3 million uninsured should have health care. We also need to look at ways to change the system. Examples: Prevention,those that can't afford to take their medication on a regular basis;. They have to choose every month to pay electricity, buy food or buy medicine. Shame on us. We, as nurses are constantly trying to educate the public on Advance Directives and Medical Power of Attorney for Healthcare, so that the person has a right to have a say of how they want their health care to be in case they are unable to speak for themselves and some make remarks that Obama is trying to undermine them. I feel like this is one of the most needed reforms that we as americans need right now and no one has cared enough about us to try and deal with the multitude of issues surrounding Health care. I say "Hats off to Obama".