If only we could take a nurse’s wit and put it in a bottle, we’d have enough medicine to cure the whole world!
Here are our top picks for funniest reader comments that had us grabbing our sides and snickering into our monitors.
Thanks so much for the laughs, readers!
Get your giggle on –>
1. “I remember the fear of realizing on the first day [of nursing school] that watching every episode of ER would get me nowhere.”
2. “I worked with a new hire, Tiffany, who was ‘snug’ in a size 18 but wore size 12 pants. She always wore a thong, even though her scrub bottoms wouldn’t cover her hips, let alone her bum!! NO ONE wants to see that during a code or trauma in the ED…ick.”
4. Batman and Iron Man shirts have nothing on Charlie Brown, Winnie the Pooh and the Jonas Brothers scrubs designs.”
5. “AJU = All Jacked Up (multiple issues)
FTF = Failure to Fly (usually head-bonks, but can be used throughout traumas)
FLK with GLM/GLD = Funny Lookin’ Kid with Good Lookin’ Mom/Dad (probably a syndrome)
FLK with FLM/FLK = Funny Lookin’ Kid with Funny Lookin’ Mom/Dad (probably just genetics)
Capital A circled = can mean either ‘anxious’ or ‘a**hole,’ depending on the situation…one step above PITA.”
Doctor d’ohs! –>
6. “Love Hugh Laurie, but no, ONE doctor doesn’t do brain surgery, heart surgery, CT scans, blood draws, empties catheters, does angiograms and liver biopsies, etc. I always wonder why they don’t hire a medical consultant.”
7. “My all-time favorite is when you wear regular dress clothes and a guy looks at you and says, ”I have never seen you with clothes on.” A doctor said this to me once. The nurses’ station got very quiet, and then when he walked away, there were lots of hoots!”
8. “I used to say you must be a nurse if you believe speeding lead therapy (a bullet) is one of the best treatments for some patients.”
9. “Someone please tell the new kids (or whoever does this) that there is to be no crack on the unit. Besides dragging pants, there’s an awful lot of butt cracks showing with those low riders…arrgh!”
10. “Going along with the popcorn from a bedpan thing, I have also seen people on my floor drink pop out of the big graduates that we empty foleys and colostomys into! I can’t bring myself to do it because even though I know they are clean, I can’t get over the mental image