Father Saves Son from Choking
Emergency Educational Training in Clayton, North Carolina, for submitting this story about his quick-thinking student who used his training to save his son from choking.
Rob Skrypek and 10-year-old son John were staying in a hotel on March 16, 2012, getting ready to attend a motocross race. It was around 6 in the morning, and young John was enjoying some hard candies in the hotel lobby while dad Rob was getting breakfast for the two of them in the hotel breakfast nook. Rob heard choking and went to investigate.
Rob found what every parent fears; his son had his hands around his neck and was beginning to turn blue. Rob asked John if he was choking and the boy nodded. In Rob’s words, “I immediately had the hotel clerk call 911 while I attempted to dislodge the candy from [John’s] throat. I grabbed him from behind and I did abdominal thrusts. The first two attempts were not successful. I swept inside his mouth and could feel the candy. I administered another thrust and this caused the hard candy finally to come out. John fell to the floor. I held him in my arms and asked if he could breathe, he said yes and his coloring returned to normal.”
And, in true 10-year-old style, when asked about their plans for the day, John still wanted to go racing. Father and son made the race, but Rob reports that John’s enthusiasm for hard candy has greatly diminished since that day